Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Users of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes NI

Users of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes NI

Just put down a deposit, picking them up when I get paid.

They feel amazing, I made a post here last year about boot recommendations. Finally getting a new pair, basically no treads left on current boots just little nubs and have deteriorated even more since my post. Was going to try and ride them out until Oct but i'm slipping lots even when dry.

You guys that have used the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, was there a break in period? How are the with microspikes? Anything to avoid (I know stear clear of mink oil) ? Pros.... cons?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Users of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes NI

I hope you have better luck than I had with my Hardscrabbles. Mine started leaking in the second year after fairly mild use and religious application of Nikwax and later snoseal. They were also the longest break-in ever. Picked up a pair of Scarpas for almost half what I paid for the kenetreks a few seasons later and haven't looked back.

I Love My Meindls

I'm on year 4 with my kennetreks and there still holding up good.
    I've logged quite a few miles in them and sheep hunt every year.
    mine were pretty comfy outta the box and didn't really need to be "broken in
    just wear them around for a week and oil them and you should be good to go

As long as they fit you well they dont need a ton of break in. When I finally wore out my extremes [actually I never wore them out, they were just old enough I was concerned about a seam failure on a backcountry adventure] I moved to the stiffer guide model. These never fit me well and I got the worse blisters I have ever had. I sold them before they ever broke in!

I wore the soles off them in one season. Had them resoled with vibram still have them for a backup boot super comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    As long as they fit you well they dont need a ton of break in. When I finally wore out my extremes [actually I never wore them out, they were just old enough I was concerned about a seam failure on a backcountry adventure] I moved to the stiffer guide model. These never fit me well and I got the worse blisters I have ever had. I sold them before they ever broke in!
    What did you end up going with after selling the guide model?

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    I wore the soles off them in one season. Had them resoled with vibram still have them for a backup boot super comfortable.
    How long have your vibrams been holding up for? Vibrams on my current boots pretty well completely done after 2 years of hard abuse. Was kind of happy to see they weren't vibram soles tbh. My only experience with vibram is with my current boots but I don't think these boots were designed for what I do, I was told before vibram were some of the best but these ones wore out quick
    Last edited by TheObserver; 06-25-2023 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    How long have your vibrams been holding up for? Vibrams on my current boots pretty well completely done after 2 years of hard abuse. Was kind of happy to see they weren't vibram soles tbh. My only experience with vibram is with my current boots but I don't think these boots were designed for what I do, I was told before vibram were some of the best but these ones wore out quick
    Vibram soles are about 6 years old but these are just backups now. I currently have two pairs of Crispi and a pair of Meindl in use as well so Kenetreks are not getting a lot of use.

I ended up in a pair of hanwag trapper tops. These have been the most comfortable hunting boot I have worn. I ran them 3 seasons and then last year I cleaned them up and applied seam grip seam sealer to all the seams, greased them up with kenetrek boot grease and left them out on my covered deck in the hot summer sun for a week. The toe warped on one! I havent been able to straighten it out and it rubs two of my toes badly now. I never leave good enough alone so I replaced them with zamberlans new wasatch 981. These boots seem great but I bought a wide size, which is too wide for me so they will be up for sale. I have been working on fixing the toe in the old hanwags and have made some progress. I got an hour hike in last weekend with no toe rubbing!