Thread: Silly sheep question

Silly sheep question

This might sound silly to some, but I haven’t come across the answer before (obviously since I’m asking). Field aging aside, I’ve seen some sheep with open, deep dropping curls that don’t look like they actually break the plane of the nose, but are in fact a fully curled. Does the fact that the horn makes a complete circle make it legal or does it have to cross the nose plane? Any of you experienced guys care to share some insight on this? Like I said, it sounds dumb but I’m genuinely curious. The best example I can give would be a Dall ram with those wide flared out tips.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Silly sheep question

Page 4 of the regs sum it up pretty good. Must break the bridge of the nose.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

for hunting purposes the definition of full curl varies by jurisdiction
    for viewing sake, a full circle is just that, so when viewed from the right angle, horn meets horn, glad the definition is more reasonable
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Never be afraid to ask.
    With sheep there has been much on age vs curl etc, so it can get tough to know what is going on.
    Now, if you can find a Ram with a heavy base, long deep curl but breaks the plane, you got yourself a dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jereky View Post
    This might sound silly to some, but I haven’t come across the answer before (obviously since I’m asking). Field aging aside, I’ve seen some sheep with open, deep dropping curls that don’t look like they actually break the plane of the nose, but are in fact a fully curled. Does the fact that the horn makes a complete circle make it legal or does it have to cross the nose plane? Any of you experienced guys care to share some insight on this? Like I said, it sounds dumb but I’m genuinely curious. The best example I can give would be a Dall ram with those wide flared out tips.
    Sheep aging and horn curl judgement is a tricky game that takes years of experience to get correct. A full curl on a big horn meets different criteria than that of a thin horn (Stone or Dall). Study the definitions in the regs carefully. On big horn rams the only ones that have break the bridge of the nose is mature full curl, while full curl does not have to. On thin horns it over the bridge of the nose. Some stones and dalls are shot on age vs curl. You need to know what your doing to age in the field, so the best advice for those with out the skill set is to only shoot full curl or better rams. You will also see that you cannot shoot bighorns on age, only on curl length.

I understand the regs and breaking the plane on the bridge of the nose. I was just curious if, like I stated above, a ram thinhorn with greater than an actual 360 degrees rotation of its horn is recognized. I’ll reiterate, this isn’t something I would chance shooting and I’m not suggesting I would hunt anything based on anything BUT the regulations. I was simply curious. This isn’t a question about field aging sheep or anything else. I know what the regulations say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jereky View Post
    I understand the regs and breaking the plane on the bridge of the nose. I was just curious if, like I stated above, a ram thinhorn with greater than an actual 360 degrees rotation of its horn is recognized. I’ll reiterate, this isn’t something I would chance shooting and I’m not suggesting I would hunt anything based on anything BUT the regulations. I was simply curious. This isn’t a question about field aging sheep or anything else. I know what the regulations say.
    You are into a grey area with a number of variations. Bottom line is, if clearly does not clear the bridge of the nose plane, do not shoot. There have been a number of rams confiscated around this very question. Talk with a Conservation Officer if you want a clear legal answer.

Do all sheep horns looks the same? Do they all look like the drawings in the regs? It was a hypothetical question. Apparently it was also a stupid question to ask or consider.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    You are into a grey area with a number of variations. Bottom line is, if clearly does not clear the bridge of the nose plane, do not shoot. There have been a number of rams confiscated around this very question. Talk with a Conservation Officer if you want a clear legal answer.
    I wouldn’t shoot a sheep that did not make the legal regulation definition as set out on page 4.

When in doubt " DONT SHOT"
    Aging sheep by annual can be very very tricky , even the Bio's have a tough time on certain rams .
    Watch some of those want to be resident sheep hunters that post there video's on social media , I cant believe that they would shot some of those under full curl Stone's Sheep and then walk up to then and hope there 8 years old total crap shoot . Then have to take them it to get them plugged . Sure more than a few get confiscated and a nice ticket-fine handed to them .
    Last edited by 358mag; 04-04-2023 at 07:16 PM.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......