Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaiters and crampons/extra traction

Re: Gaiters and crampons/extra traction

kuiu yukons are probably one of the best gaitors.
    I used stone glaciers last year and there ok. prefer kuiu

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Gaiters, I don’t know about top of the line, but I found Kenetrek to have a nice balance of quality vs durability with an added bonus of being fairly quiet.
    These ones are on my list to checkout because i've read how quiet they are

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    kuiu yukons are probably one of the best gaitors.
    I used stone glaciers last year and there ok. prefer kuiu
    I keep reading these are one of if not the best gaiter, but have a hard time getting past how they make their stuff in china now but charge top dollar

My First-Lite bramblers have been bomb proof so far.

wife got me a pair of the Stone Glacier Gaiters and they are great so far quiet and light but very strong velcro

I recommend Kuiu kutana or Yukon gators

micro spikes if it’s real thin ice and slipper logs and roots if it’s thicker packed snow and ice then crampons

For quietness look at the Stalker gaiters by King of the Mountain ..... also Sleeping Indian Designs ... Ridge runner as well ... both are well made products.

It hasn’t been said so I’ll also suggest you need to really consider your calf size. If you have thicker then average calves and depending on your boots and excess pant material you’ll have a hard time getting some gaiters around far enough for thr Velcro to seal up. I’ve researched this before and know from either mine or buddies experience Sitka first lite and stone glacier are too narrow for bigger guys. Presently I’m using Outdoor Research because I was able to try them on. But I’ve read KUIU’s are great for bigger guys. If APE does custom that’s a great option I’ll be looking into in the future

The ones I posted up from Amazon come in multiple sizes. They zip up and have drawstrings at the top. Would be good for the guys with larger calves. I got them through a promotion and, having to be budget conscious like most, figured what the heck, I’ll give them a try. Not my first choice, being a cheaper Amazon option, but more affordable than any name brand. When they fall apart, I’ll consider upgrading. They work for down here on the wet coast. Just need to also try them with the crampons and I think I’ll love the combination. Forgot to try crampons out last weekend when I went out and man, did I wish I had them on.
    Last edited by ekul246; 04-10-2023 at 06:01 PM.