Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BACKPACK LITRE count

BACKPACK LITRE count

Although most of my backpack hunts for goats deer and sheep, a few moose and elk, I used Exterior framed packs. A few different makes over the years but my favorite was a 95 Litre by volume removable from frame pack, for using pack board (frame ) only. For heavy quarters yet to be deboned, the frame was Alluminum.
    I've been eyeballing several different interior framed designed packs. Way more comfortable for my ageing body then the external frame I presently have. Weigh lighter no punn intended but wow these modern backpacks are light. My dilemma is what litre to settle with. I can always add extras to the outside while packing.
    I have no intention of packing any more bone in 1/4s, so the only bone coming out is horn, antler or skull. I'm thinking of 70 - 80 litre.

Any thoughts?
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BACKPACK LITRE count

Go to Exo’s YouTube channel or https://exomtngear.com/pages/k4-pre-release and check out their videos on their new K4 packs. They have a good breakdown on what pack size to choose. Even if you’re not planning on getting an Exo, they make a lot of really good points on how to pick what pack size will work best for you. They have videos on the 3600, 5000 and 7200. With good explanations of each ones use. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 03-26-2023 at 07:00 AM.

I have experience with two different packs, the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Beartooth.

The Metcalf came in around 72L. For me and the gear I carry, I would consider this usable for hunts up to 5 days in length. Anything more than this would end up in gear strapped to the outside of the bag, which I like to avoid at all costs.

I currently run the Beartooth, which comes in closer to 85L. I really enjoy the added space, and can stretch this out to 10-12 days if needed, while still compressing down small enough for shorter trips.

I think it really comes down to personal use, and the gear you take. For the ultralight backpacker, or a smaller build, I am sure they could fit a few more days worth of food/water. While for others running synthetic insulations, more food, etc. would need more bag. I would consider myself falling in the middle with most of these.

Quote Originally Posted by DStewart View Post
    I have experience with two different packs, the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Beartooth.

The Metcalf came in around 72L. For me and the gear I carry, I would consider this usable for hunts up to 5 days in length. Anything more than this would end up in gear strapped to the outside of the bag, which I like to avoid at all costs.

I currently run the Beartooth, which comes in closer to 85L. I really enjoy the added space, and can stretch this out to 10-12 days if needed, while still compressing down small enough for shorter trips.

I think it really comes down to personal use, and the gear you take. For the ultralight backpacker, or a smaller build, I am sure they could fit a few more days worth of food/water. While for others running synthetic insulations, more food, etc. would need more bag. I would consider myself falling in the middle with most of these.
    Well post your pack list/ weight on the sheep pack list

You can always shrink a big bag. try stretching a small one.... 95L is my minimum
    WSSBC Life Member

Received my Exo K4 5000 (81.9L, a bit more with the lid) the other day. Took a bit of Tetris but I got my 10 day sheep kit to fit in it, without using the load shelf. Have walked/hiked 50km with 40lbs so far with it and can say I’m beyond impressed. Very comfortable. Something I never thought I’d even care about, but the new Nalgene holder, design and location is extremely convenient, can finally ditch the bladder for day hunts. Anyone thinking about a new pack, take a serious look at K4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    Received my Exo K4 5000 (81.9L, a bit more with the lid) the other day. Took a bit of Tetris but I got my 10 day sheep kit to fit in it, without using the load shelf. Have walked/hiked 50km with 40lbs so far with it and can say I’m beyond impressed. Very comfortable. Something I never thought I’d even care about, but the new Nalgene holder, design and location is extremely convenient, can finally ditch the bladder for day hunts. Anyone thinking about a new pack, take a serious look at K4.
    Like it better than your Kifaru so far? Or too early to tell? I'll be getting my pack in the next 2 weeks here and it'll be between Fulcrum or 7000's K4

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Like it better than your Kifaru so far? Or too early to tell? I'll be getting my pack in the next 2 weeks here and it'll be between Fulcrum or 7000's K4
    They are both phenomenal packs. A person can not go wrong with either. The true test for the K4 will be when it’s time to pack out heavy, but I have no doubt it will pass with flying colours. So far and I’m sure I got some new pack bias, but the simplicity of the K4, how quick and easy it is to tear down, access load shelf, adjust shoulder straps, makes me lean towards the K4. As I said before, the Nalgene holder design is great. Might not seem like a big deal to most, but having that little bit of weight transferred to the frame vs hanging off your belt, is much nicer, especially when your on those deep, heavy back country hunts. Kifaru’s rifle sling system is far better. I like having my gun in front of me and being able to access it in an instant if I want, not strapped to my pack. With the molle system on the K4, I can put my kifaru rifle bearer on there flawlessly, works perfect. I’ve had my kifaru for 7 years, I’d imagine they have lightened them up a bit since then, but the K4 is almost 2lbs lighter, so that’s also a plus. I like to carry a knife on my shoulder strap as well, with my current kydex sheath, there is nowhere to clip it on the K4, so I’m gonna have to figure something out for that. Both frames are on par for fit a comfort. The K4 is simpler, but I have an older Kifaru frame, not sure what newer kifaru is like. I like the K4 bag better than any of the kifaru bags I have, but that is definitely personal preference. As of today, I lean toward the K4 just cause of simplicity, I don’t like to piss around with my pack on the mountain when I got an animal down. But 7 years, numerous sheep, elk and moose packed out and never had any issue or failure, Kifaru is proven, so I have that loyalty factor cause I know what there packs are, so I’d never hesitate to use or buy another one.

Wow the Exo K 4 is amazing...... Thanks bullreaper
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

i have a sg sky 5900 and its big enough to fit all my gear in plus a bit and i hauled out a bull rosie in it with the load shelf and it was heavy but comfortable.