Thread: First real point

First real point

For those that have been following along, you know I got a red and white setter last year and he just did his first off leash controlled point and stayed on point for 7-8 minutes. I had to woe him a few times because he started to slow creep, but all in all he’s getting it.

I walk him by this duck pond regularly and he blindly chases the little Dickie birds and when he finds a migratory bird his nose goes to the ground and his tail starts wagging. This time he came around the corner, saw the mallard and froze immediately when he saw her. The real excitement for him is when he gets on grouse scent. It’s a totally different tail wag and he searches in a cross type pattern until he gets on the freshest scent and then he takes off after them. Hopefully by fall he can hold himself back to point the upland birds.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First real point

Nice looking dog! What your dog actually did is what is called a sight point. The reason they instinctually lock up like that is because they don't want the animal to know they are there by not moving. The dog won't move because if they do the bird/animal is going to fly or run. A dog doesn't even have to be a pointing breed to do that.My dog will stop and freeze every time she spots a cat, a bunny, a deer, etc. until I tell her to leave it. When she was a youngster she'd chase,,,,not anymore, though. An actual hunting point occurs when the dog uses its sense of smell,,,,not sight. As soon as they enter the scent zone the dog will get birdy and should lock up on point, not even realizing they are doing it at first. The dog doesn't usually see the bird because it is hidden but they know they shouldn't move. If you want to get your dog to point using its sense of smell you've got to get him out on game birds, wild or pen raised, as much as possible. Using pigeons is a good alternative.In the beginning always run your dog on a long check cord so you can control the creep or if he continues to break once the point has been established when the bird has been flushed. Hopefully after he chases a few he will realize he can't catch them and will become more steady. Once it all comes together for the dog that is the best part about hunting them!
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!