Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern BC butcher / meat care

Northern BC butcher / meat care

We are doing a fly in, raft out hunt in northern BC out of Muncho Lake... never hunted up north... if we are successful with a moose or 2 curious what people do for meat care... anyone have any ideas on a butcher up north or do most guys bring it all back home to a butcher close by. We are in Pemberton so its a bit of a haul.

Just looking for ideas on what most guys do who have done these northern hunts with maybe a few moose to deal with after...

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern BC butcher / meat care

When about are you going?

Heading up mid September

I'd recommend that you and your buddies watch a few Youtube videos on butchering, pool your resources on a good grinder, and do it yourself. Getting harder and harder to find a good butcher and when big distances are involved between where you are hunting and where you reside, it is all the more reason to learn to do it yourself. If you want sausage and aren't planning on learning how to do it, just bag up your trim in bags with 25 pounds per bag and then take it to a local establishment to get it made when convenient.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Beware.
    We took a couple in early to Ft.Nelson.
    Dude said $25 per day to hang till it got cut and packaged.
    Turned out he ripped us off at $25 per day x each quarter, not per animal.
    Dupped us for several hundred more to the date he cut and wrapped.
    Then cutting fees. Don't assume anything.
    Good luck to you.

Beware of a name Funk the Butcher I believe.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Talk to your Pilot he will know.
    And as "imdone" mentioned already, don't assume nothing and have a Plan B.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    I'd recommend that you and your buddies watch a few Youtube videos on butchering, pool your resources on a good grinder, and do it yourself. Getting harder and harder to find a good butcher and when big distances are involved between where you are hunting and where you reside, it is all the more reason to learn to do it yourself. If you want sausage and aren't planning on learning how to do it, just bag up your trim in bags with 25 pounds per bag and then take it to a local establishment to get it made when convenient.
    Careful with this advice, not that I disagree with it. You have to leave proof of sex on the animal when transporting unless you have had a compulsory inspection done. That's my plan for this year, shoot an elk, get a CI and butcher in camp. I reached out to the CO service to confirm this, see this post:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...t=butcher+camp

jamfarm.....I hear what you are saying, but I didn't mean butcher and grind where they were hunting. Was thinking more about haul the quarters home and then process them at home. Assumed they would be thinking that way, but I should probably have made it more clear. I gather you and your hunting buddies must take a freezer and generator with you if you are planning to cut and wrap in camp after getting the CI done.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    jamfarm.....I hear what you are saying, but I didn't mean butcher and grind where they were hunting. Was thinking more about haul the quarters home and then process them at home. Assumed they would be thinking that way, but I should probably have made it more clear. I gather you and your hunting buddies must take a freezer and generator with you if you are planning to cut and wrap in camp after getting the CI done.
    Gotcha. Yes, we will bring everything we need to butcher in camp, generator, freezer, vacuum sealer etc etc. We'd rather take a day off hunting to process the meat after the CI is done and have beautiful trimmed steaks, roasts and ground as opposed to bring it into a cutter or butcher, who knows what you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Beware.
    We took a couple in early to Ft.Nelson.
    Dude said $25 per day to hang till it got cut and packaged.
    Turned out he ripped us off at $25 per day x each quarter, not per animal.
    Dupped us for several hundred more to the date he cut and wrapped.
    Then cutting fees. Don't assume anything.
    Good luck to you.

Beware of a name Funk the Butcher I believe.
    Wow, what a rip off artist. Lots of northern boys I know would have knocked his teeth out for trying to pull that stunt on them. It's usually $ amount per day to hang the animal [not by the quarter] in the cooler for you to take home, when you leave it with them for processing it's a by the pound rate. You don't pay both, I know that I sure as hell wouldn't have.