Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Bear derby Official!

Re: 2023 Bear derby Official!

Definitely not changing it. If you’re ashamed of hunting don’t take part.
    to all those that do, I’m going to see if I can round up some more donations and really spice up this bear derby, the more participation the merrier. These are legally licensed hunters buying tags from the government and filling them. Absolutely nothing controversial about that assuming the regulations are followed, and if they aren’t the person would be disqualified anyways… Sous excluding them shows our respect for the rules the biologists put forward.

I know of 4 bears taken so far from members of this forum, let’s hope all of them take the time to do the write up and enter and share their stories with all of us.. some nice bears !

Sorry guys if I've mispoken and gotten everyone's panties in a bunch. There are no changes that I know of immediately that will affect hunters on VI.

KL

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybuffalo71 View Post
    Sorry guys if I've mispoken and gotten everyone's panties in a bunch. There are no changes that I know of immediately that will affect hunters on VI.

KL
    KL....you have nothing to apologize for. You expressed your concerns and others disagree with you. While I have not heard anything about possible changes on VI bear seasons, I most certainly have seen what the use of "trophy" and "coyote derby" has done in other places. Like it or not certain words seem to "trigger" (yup, hate that current buzz word as well but seemed appropriate here) the anti-hunting warriors, who then focus their social media attacks on a new target. Like it or not they can draw so much negative attention via social media that they manage to convince the urban armchair environmentalists to rain down upon the local politicians via social media. The social media frenzy demanding changes get the vote dependant politicians worried and so they pay attention and consider pushing more non-science based changes.

It is happening globally and we are most certainly not immune. Just look at the grizzly season...or should I say the lack of it. It is also only a year ago that the state of Washington closed their spring black bear season.

I agree that what we legally do as hunters should not be a problem and we should not have to defend it. But social media has completely changed the playing field and WORDS do matter these days. At some point we all need to be realistic about where things are heading. I personally feel that the threads on hunting forums, such as HBC, should not be visible to anyone that is not a member. Why freely give the enemies ammunition to use against us? I have seen lots of photos on this site that the anti's could use to show what a bunch of blood thirsty *******s we are on social media...and they do poach hunting photos and use them against us.

But that is for another discussion. Many disagree with me I am sure, and that is fine as we are all entitled to an opinion. At some point however, we are going to find ourselves looking back and wishing we had paid attention to all of the warning signs and been a bit more cautious about what we put out there for all to see and read.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    KL....you have nothing to apologize for. You expressed your concerns and others disagree with you. While I have not heard anything about possible changes on VI bear seasons, I most certainly have seen what the use of "trophy" and "coyote derby" has done in other places. Like it or not certain words seem to "trigger" (yup, hate that current buzz word as well but seemed appropriate here) the anti-hunting warriors, who then focus their social media attacks on a new target. Like it or not they can draw so much negative attention via social media that they manage to convince the urban armchair environmentalists to rain down upon the local politicians via social media. The social media frenzy demanding changes get the vote dependant politicians worried and so they pay attention and consider pushing more non-science based changes.

It is happening globally and we are most certainly not immune. Just look at the grizzly season...or should I say the lack of it. It is also only a year ago that the state of Washington closed their spring black bear season.

I agree that what we legally do as hunters should not be a problem and we should not have to defend it. But social media has completely changed the playing field and WORDS do matter these days. At some point we all need to be realistic about where things are heading. I personally feel that the threads on hunting forums, such as HBC, should not be visible to anyone that is not a member. Why freely give the enemies ammunition to use against us? I have seen lots of photos on this site that the anti's could use to show what a bunch of blood thirsty *******s we are on social media...and they do poach hunting photos and use them against us.

But that is for another discussion. Many disagree with me I am sure, and that is fine as we are all entitled to an opinion. At some point however, we are going to find ourselves looking back and wishing we had paid attention to all of the warning signs and been a bit more cautious about what we put out there for all to see and read.
    I agree if you ignore you cant complain later. Hunters don't own the animals they are for the benefit of all regardless if you hunt or not. Yes those that dont hunt do have an opinion. animals are enjoyed by all citizens and not everyone who does not hunt should be classified as anti hunting. I have plenty of friends that don't hunt but are not opposed to it. i dont see it as surrendering but stopping a potential fire from starting

Went out east harrison to 30km today and checked out some spurs, was an enjoyable day, saw a bunch of blacktails, picked up some 12 guage hulls to reload from the shooting spots, picked a tick off my belly but in the end all I saw was one big pile of bear poop which interestingly actually looked old already. Really green by the lake but goes away pretty quick with elevation.

Also of interest I drove up on some indians while coming back down a spur road, they were loading a doe they just shot, they looked as if that was one of the better things that had happened in their lives....I congratulated them and carried on.

Oh and I saw Dan Hurd the youtube prospecting guy!
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Where’s all the bear stories this year !?

I can definitely say it’s one of my toughest years chasing these buggers so far.

Soooo how many entries are in this derby so far ? 1 ? Maybe you’re all trying to hard ��. I’m starting this weekend , and I’m not hiking or road hunting haha ! I’m going to plant my self in a creek with a beer and wait watching a hill side . if that doesn’t work I’ll just go 4x4ing and maybe I’ll see one when I stop.

Dan Hurd ? Hmmmm interesting 0.o There be gold in them hills
    Last edited by Dour; 05-18-2023 at 09:26 PM.

Lol sorry guys I promised the wife this past weekend I wouldn't shoot one and have to spend time processing a bear (mothers day weekend camping trip) - and when my son and I went for a quick rip up to do a quick fish we saw a nice one, I had my old 303 with me, my trigger finger was itchy but a promise is a promise and I don't need to be in the doghouse..
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 05-18-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Where’s all the bear stories this year !?

I can definitely say it’s one of my toughest years chasing these buggers so far.
    I know, definitely thought there would be people posting there are definitely Bears being taken, dissapointing.

Going up to the OK to throw down salt in a couple of my Elk spots and check the cams I let soak, then I will be Bear hunting for the rest of my time up there. If I get another one i'll post a story and pics I know some appreciate it for sure, I always enjoy seeing game from our province and reading the story
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-18-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Only one entry thus far? The Observer will be crowned king soon, couple more weekends to go….
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...