Thread: 2023 fall hunts - The fellas aren’t up for it

2023 summer hunt - 6/8A Goat Draw

Hello HBC community,

You’ve all got great perspectives, wonderful advice and for the most part represent exactly the kind of folks I’d want to spend time in a moose camp or out in the backcountry with. Hunting and being in the outdoors is one of my greatest passions and I can’t stomach one more season of being limited to truck hunting or another hunt that turns into a piss up cause the meat cache is still empty on day 3. The vast majority of hunts with my regular partners over the last 15 years have devolved into those experiences and I’ve come to realize that I’m not gonna change them, so it’s time to change the game.

That all being said, I’ve drawn authorizations for a goat in 6-8A and a moose in 6-6. These hunts are likely to be solo outings. Not my ideal situation for the goat hunt cause it pays to have a buddy in the backcountry, but it is what it is and I’ll bring a SPOT or other communicator. Wondering if anyone on the forum has experience hunting off the Kispiox river or RR access into mount Thomlinson in early/mid August. Current plan is to backpack through the timber/creek bottom into one of the drainages most easily accessible from the Babine slide forest service road, then spike from there. glass em up and head up the mountain. I’ve got the gear, a reasonable amount of backcountry and general hunting know-how and experience as well as good fitness and well practiced marksmanship. My intention is to take the 375 ruger up with a couple different loads, a heavy, bushwhacking predator deterrent (can o spray as well of course) as well as a 250gr load I can poke out to real distance if it’s called for.

Side note, I find goats are damn tough to sex. Any gnarly old goat hunters out there have a tried and true process they’re willing to share?

many thanks in advance, hope to see some of you out there

C
    Last edited by Ck1990; 07-01-2023 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Clarity of subject

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2023 fall hunts - The fellas aren’t up for it

Sorry I’m not of much help, hopefully you’re able to find a good partner to tag along with you. I know your moose area was productive last season, I think it’s a good bet finding a moose in 6-6 given the time to put in.

As for billy vs nanny, the RMGA has a bit of content on their site regarding billy vs nanny. If you happen to be on IG, I have a mess of goat stuff with lots to sift through. I often put up billy vs nanny quizzes when I get time. Always happy to help a guy out if you have any questions on the subject of goats, feel free to PM here or on IG if you like.

Good luck this season!

I would think someone here would be a good fit for you . Have a meet and greet session to suss out potentials !
    Good Luck !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Re: 2023 summer hunt - 6/8A Goat Draw

I'll send you a PM soon. I'm familiar with your goat area

thanks for this! I’ll study up on your goat content. I’ve sharpened up sexing bears but the goats are a whole other thing haha.

currently living very adjacent to 6-6 and will be in there all summer sussing out the hunt. I’m interested to see what it’s like back there in season since the changes to the GOS.

cheers and good hunting

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Sorry I’m not of much help, hopefully you’re able to find a good partner to tag along with you. I know your moose area was productive last season, I think it’s a good bet finding a moose in 6-6 given the time to put in.

As for billy vs nanny, the RMGA has a bit of content on their site regarding billy vs nanny. If you happen to be on IG, I have a mess of goat stuff with lots to sift through. I often put up billy vs nanny quizzes when I get time. Always happy to help a guy out if you have any questions on the subject of goats, feel free to PM here or on IG if you like.

Good luck this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I would think someone here would be a good fit for you . Have a meet and greet session to suss out potentials !
    Good Luck !
    Arctic Lake
    there’s an idea! I’ve been trying to recruit my girlfriends and let’s just say the set of ladies sized gear I bought for my ex has been adorned by a few of them…anybody out there fit into an extra extra small???