Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 Wild Horses Killed

Re: 17 Wild Horses Killed

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm total lack of balls...by government...
    hmmm also lacking a spine...
    how much daily is being handed to 3% professional beggars..see they also just bought part of a CANADIAN natural gas line...with taxpayers money...
    no respect for these horses untill they can make a buck off them..

next we will be told all these horses went to residental schools..and the indians feel compensation setting in..
    steven
    Yup...that about sums it up. Smart move for the gas company though, as I am sure things will go ahead full steam now that First Nations are "owners". Too dangerous to bad mouth the project now and if they don't get what the want, we will have to suffer through more indigenous related items on the news and everyone pandering to them. It's the indigenous "woke" bandwagon that is getting pushed continuously...just like a few other factions in our society have been doing for a few decades.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    Yup...that about sums it up. Smart move for the gas company though, as I am sure things will go ahead full steam now that First Nations are "owners". Too dangerous to bad mouth the project now and if they don't get what the want, we will have to suffer through more indigenous related items on the news and everyone pandering to them. It's the indigenous "woke" bandwagon that is getting pushed continuously...just like a few other factions in our society have been doing for a few decades.
    Well, if we could buy a grizzly tag from a First Nation band, it would still be 100 times better than waiting for nothing from the NDP government
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

Seems senseless to me that someone would shoot 17 animals and just leave them to rot. That being said I would imagine these horses are using the same winter range as the bighorns and mule deer competing for the best forage in the worst/harshest times of winter.
    In my eyes the natives saying the horses have cultural significance is like me saying my vehicle has cultural significance. Both have come about in the fairly near past.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Well, there is the kettle calling the pot black mentality for sure.
    I agree, seeing cattle all over the place certainly would have more impact then those few horses.
    Dont think cattle can be considered indigenous either.
    Call a horse invasive, same could be said for cattle.
    Again, I would have left them alone, there aren’t that many of them.
    Now, if they impact wildlife, then fine.
    But again, they ain’t the only creature man introduced and cattle sure outnumber horses in the area.
    Cattle turn up the soil and are actually a benefit to grasslands whereas a horse is not. The horse will browse the grass too low and doesn't "mulch" the soil like a cow does. Im not a big fan as a hunter of having to compete for access on public range lease but the science is there for what animals are a hindrance vs advantageous to the ecosystems where these feral horses live.

That being said though, the ranchers MUST get their cattle off the grasslands at the designated time. If they allow them to stay too long they remove the grass and there is no new growth and then again we have an issue where a non native species is causing harm to wild natural animal populations bc the cattle have eaten all the winter feed the other ungulates rely on.
    Last edited by Darksith; 03-17-2023 at 09:25 AM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Planer99 View Post
    Seems senseless to me that someone would shoot 17 animals and just leave them to rot. That being said I would imagine these horses are using the same winter range as the bighorns and mule deer competing for the best forage in the worst/harshest times of winter.
    In my eyes the natives saying the horses have cultural significance is like me saying my vehicle has cultural significance. Both have come about in the fairly near past.
    Bang on here .......
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

West of the fraser there are thousands of feral horses. Just go for a flight out west in the winter and you get an idea of just how many there are. The estimate I heard was over 3000.

I've run into a few herds while hunting and they are quite aggressive. Its something to come into a clearing and get charged by 30 horses

Last summer when out to the. NEMAIAH Valley - There were different herds of 200 plus Horses . LOTS OF Colts . RJ

My most terrifying encounter with wildlife was not bear / cougar / wolf .... it was wild horses. I was surrounded once in merrit with very aggressive behavior. I thought I was going to be attacked / trampled / stomped , there was about 12 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm goodly numbers west of the Fraser river.....this situation is not new....
    treated as problematic unless you were part of the indians tv show about them.

grrrrr
    IT IS A PROVINCE WIDE PROBLEM! THEY ARE PREVALENT ON THE TURNAGAIN, kECHIKA MUSKWA PROPHET AND BESA! SEEN BY ME NOT A RUMOUR!
    SHOOT THEM ON SIGHT !

Tough to kill with a planting shovel and many of those people you speak of are vagitarians