Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 Wild Horses Killed

Re: 17 Wild Horses Killed

If I’m not mistaken there are horse processing facilities in eastern Canada that sell to Europe .Not sure if this is still the case but worked with a slaughterman in B.C. that had worked in one in Ontario
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    They are invasive and out compete local wildlife populations. Killing them was the right thing to do. It is unfortunate that the meat went to waste though.
    Yes, they are invasive.
    I would like to know how much damage they actually create and how severe their effects are on the MD in the area.
    Are they feeding in the same sources of food that MD eat?
    Maybe.
    I just don’t know?
    Does the Arrowstone MD study touch on that??
    I am just curious, not here to argue the culling.

thats a lot of dogfood left on the hills

No equine slaughter left in Canada, and there is a movement to ban live exports for food
    Horses destroy more range than cattle due to the way they can rip up grass instead of grazing off the tops
    somebody didn't like the competition for feed or someone just out to kill something are my guesses
    Have found does and fawns shot for no reason other than to see something killed,
    mindset or testing a firearms? who knows
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    thats a lot of dogfood left on the hills

No equine slaughter left in Canada, and there is a movement to ban live exports for food
    Horses destroy more range than cattle due to the way they can rip up grass instead of grazing off the tops
    somebody didn't like the competition for feed or someone just out to kill something are my guesses
    Have found does and fawns shot for no reason other than to see something killed,
    mindset or testing a firearms? who knows
    Got any research, that wasn’t funded in part or in whole by a cattleman’s association, to back up the claim that horses are more destructive than cows?

I see a lot more cows than I do feral/wild horses, so I find it hard to believe that horses (with their much smaller numbers) are more destructive on a whole than cattle. The benefit of beef being that there’s a big market for it.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

its unfortunate. Society views them as majestic, science views them as destructive and a problem in regards to competition with wild animals that are supposed to be there. Honestly they should be removed but society would freak out. I don't suspect there will be much of a push for an investigation on this from the conservation office, the RCMP well thats a different matter unless they defer to the correct office
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

not all invasive species are bad. They are, in a lot cases, good. They are just not native.

I have never seen as many poor lakes as in Canada where you do not have fish unless the fisheries stock some, which of course only last a few months. We need to put some productive fish in our lakes. To be honest, trout is one useless specie that do not produce well. replacing them with walleye or whatever is the way to do.
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

This is a good scenario for the indians to get involved and investigate if the horses are invasive, reason why if they performed a cull the public wouldn't even know plus if they knew wouldn't be as harsh as a public employee or hunters performing the task.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Horses eat all day.
    Cattle bed to chew cud.
    Tough on the range/lease.

Quote Originally Posted by elker View Post
    not all invasive species are bad. They are, in a lot cases, good. They are just not native.

I have never seen as many poor lakes as in Canada where you do not have fish unless the fisheries stock some, which of course only last a few months. We need to put some productive fish in our lakes. To be honest, trout is one useless specie that do not produce well. replacing them with walleye or whatever is the way to do.
    But you don't actually know. The horses out compete wildlife. They live long and have few predators. They make it hard for more delicate species like big horn sheep
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member