Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 17 Wild Horses Killed

Re: 17 Wild Horses Killed

This is not going away. The bands are pissed off. They believe they are ancestral horses. This is a long way from over. If they find the person, and it’s a white dude, this is going to be Vancouver Sun front page news. If it turns out to be someone from one of the bands, it will disappear like smoke from a campfire.
    Last edited by Treed; 03-29-2023 at 05:23 AM.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by CAC View Post
    It is interesting I saw the same type of response in AB when I lived there. There are quite a few feral horses there as well. I used to run into them a lot by Sundre. They would push out the local ungulate species and tore up the landscape. Not to mention they had a nasty disposition. I never understood the uproar that occurred when one or two were shot. The province offers bounties on pigs, but fines/jail for horses. Rule is, if you're cute or a Disney character you're protected, if you're fugly the gloves are off.
    You make an interesting point. Same thing occurs when a black bear is shot,big uproar from the public. Shoot a mother cougar and her three kittens and it's good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    This is not going away. The bands are pissed off. They believe they are ancestral horses. This is a long way from over. If they find the person, and it’s a white dude, this is going to be Vancouver Sun front page news. If it turns out to be someone from one of the bands, it will disappear like smoke from a campfire.
    Exactly!
    I hope for us it’s wasn’t either.
    Now, what if it ends up being a Rancher!!??
    oh boy!, then it’s going to be a rodeo

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    No, apparently they are considered livestock, same with cattle, and you can’t shoot them, unlike feral pigs.

Lots of European countries eat horse, they don’t put them on a pedestal like people in North America do. I do find horses a useful and regal animal but like an wild elk I would definitely eat one. I expect it would likely taste somewhat like a wild elk, they eat a lot of similar things. A wild horse is actually an invasive species and displaces native wildlife. An open season would solve that chicken louie.
    Careful with the word "Invasive Species", If you think about what all is not native in BC it could backfire !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2394223]https://bc.ctvnews.ca/17-wild-horses...rcmp-1.6313489[/QUOTE

I hope the catch the party responsible for this cruel & senseless Act and prosecute to the fullest extend of the Law.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I have an acquaintance that lives on the other end of Kamloops and his property borders res land that has wild horses. He says they can cause a lot of crap, trying to break down his fences to get to his horses. Trying to chase them off has them being aggressive towards him. I did a Tuchodie hunt where there was wild horses. They charged me a couple times which caused the hammer to be cocked! I am sure these 17 killed pissed off a local in the area causing him/her to lose their cool.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I have an acquaintance that lives on the other end of Kamloops and his property borders res land that has wild horses. He says they can cause a lot of crap, trying to break down his fences to get to his horses. Trying to chase them off has them being aggressive towards him. I did a Tuchodie hunt where there was wild horses. They charged me a couple times which caused the hammer to be cocked! I am sure these 17 killed pissed off a local in the area causing him/her to lose their cool.
    Oh Yea . RJ

I have talked to a few x-ranch hands who call them mangy pests and talk how they are better off shot.
    I don’t know, the ones I see look pretty cool.
    A grey on in particular standing in the sage at a distance starring with a long mane.
    Unless reports like the Arrowstone project on MD say otherwise, I am fine with them.
    If it’s a ranching issue, it’s not my problem.
    I am not against ranching, but at the same point it comes with the job.
    I have witnessed a couple of young moose calves hung up on their barb wire fences.
    So far, they take off like the wind when I walk in on them while stalking MD.

However I did have one cranky bull cow give me some attitude once.
    I just kept telling him he would fit just fine in my freezer if he don’t Foff soon!

What exactly is a bull cow? A species of wild horse or a figment of your imagination?

Didn’t want to confuse it with bull moose or elk.
    A male cow.
    You can call it what you want, it’s still a cow.
    Also not indigenous fyi.

That bugger had attitude and kept hearing fro a few hunters about this guy being pretty territorial.
    Just saying.
    Run into note of them then anything else.
    Horses are a rare event.

But I do understand the horses do roam the same grounds as MD and the BH sheep that I have caught on trail cam, same for the cattle.
    So, if o do hear about them having a true impact on sheep/MD, then yes, something has to be done.

On a side note I have come across domesticated goats (I think) on the Arrowstone by one house.
    Amd I hope they ain’t domesticated sheep!
    As I know they are a death sentence for BH sheep.