Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 Wild Horses Killed

Re: 17 Wild Horses Killed

As much as i love walleye, walleye are actually not a very resilient fish....when we would put them in creole baskets or on stringers they were always the first ones to die...bass and pike lasted way longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by elker View Post
    not all invasive species are bad. They are, in a lot cases, good. They are just not native.

I have never seen as many poor lakes as in Canada where you do not have fish unless the fisheries stock some, which of course only last a few months. We need to put some productive fish in our lakes. To be honest, trout is one useless specie that do not produce well. replacing them with walleye or whatever is the way to do.

Back in the day of the PMU farms we used to haul containers full of horse meat over to Europe out of Calgary, and yes, it is excellent. There used to be a restaurant in Amsterdam called the Kelderhoff. They served the most amazing ribs I’ve eaten, and it was horse. You should see the size of a rack of horse ribs

No reason to think horse meat would not taste good as they actually are more FUSSY eaters then cows are . I would like to try some sometime . RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    If they are wild then aren’t they actually legal to hunt? Like feral pigs or sheep, etc?
    That would be my take on it...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Yup, the sheep is a good point.
    Didnt consider that species as being affected.

A few hundred horses are not going to have a big impact on the land compared to thousands of head of cattle - yeah I’ve done rangeland assessment plots, so I’m not talking out of my as. Cattle are brutal in terms of spreading invasive plants. Cattle beat the crap out of wetlands and riparian areas in particular and there are too many ranchers who keep them out past their lease dates. That being said, I think any feral animals should be free game. The wild cows of Naikoon or sheep on Lasqueti are good examples. Horses are no different and need to be managed. The difference here is that the local bands consider these their wild horses. We just lost already.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    A few hundred horses are not going to have a big impact on the land compared to thousands of head of cattle - yeah I’ve done rangeland assessment plots, so I’m not talking out of my as. Cattle are brutal in terms of spreading invasive plants. Cattle beat the crap out of wetlands and riparian areas in particular and there are too many ranchers who keep them out past their lease dates. That being said, I think any feral animals should be free game. The wild cows of Naikoon or sheep on Lasqueti are good examples. Horses are no different and need to be managed. The difference here is that the local bands consider these their wild horses. We just lost already.
    You’re NOT wrong ! RJ

Like the moose before them, they weren't there before, how do they become ....... Theirs
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Like the moose before them, they weren't there before, how do they become ....... Theirs
    hmmm total lack of balls...by government...
    hmmm also lacking a spine...
    how much daily is being handed to 3% professional beggars..see they also just bought part of a CANADIAN natural gas line...with taxpayers money...
    no respect for these horses untill they can make a buck off them..

next we will be told all these horses went to residental schools..and the indians feel compensation setting in..
    steven

Well, there is the kettle calling the pot black mentality for sure.
    I agree, seeing cattle all over the place certainly would have more impact then those few horses.
    Dont think cattle can be considered indigenous either.
    Call a horse invasive, same could be said for cattle.
    Again, I would have left them alone, there aren’t that many of them.
    Now, if they impact wildlife, then fine.
    But again, they ain’t the only creature man introduced and cattle sure outnumber horses in the area.