Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Fulcrum or Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900

Re: Kifaru Fulcrum or Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    The only advantage with going with stone glacier is weight savings. Build quality, durability and comfort go to kifaru and yes I've used both.
    I don't totally agree with that stmt. I've owned both as well.

SR80 has it right.

You really need to try both frames on with weight. I was ok with the kifaru until I put weight on it. With 70# in it, the bag just wanted to pull away from my body.

I've packed out elk with my xcurve and my kuiu pro and neither frame gave me issues.

I’ve got a Kifaru on the duplex lite with both a Dall and Stryker bag attachment. Frame is incredibly comfortable with weight in it and sturdy. Build quality is overbuilt I’d say which I enjoy because I hate gear failures in the field. I have no experience with SG.

Stone Glacier for sure, i have the sky 5900, Avail 2200, ULT tent, Skyline bino harness, gators, all of it top quality better than any others i have tried.
    packed out an elk a couple years back, 100lb+ bags 7 trips no problem and the pack didnt slip or shift at all, it was as close to comfortable as possible.

Thanks for the replies fellas, always appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    Do you want one big bag, or do you want a couple pockets on the bag as well? If you like a couple pockets, Kifaru. If you want light weight and just a bag, SG. They are both quality packs. Can’t go wrong with either. I personally run a kifaru, cause the frame fits me better than a SG. My kifaru has never let me down. I’ve never run the fulcrum, but have run the ma deuce, DT1 and a Dall. They are all excellent bags and bomb proof. SG and Kifaru are both top notch, but now that SG is owned by Vista Outdoors, I lean towards kifaru, much rather support a small independently owned company rather than a stock market listed investment firm. Have you looked at Exo K4? They will be available March 28th. Kifaru has been good to me for a lot of years and a lot of heavy miles, but will be getting a K4 as soon as they are out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    If your looking for a large expedition bag that will compress nicely to use as a day pack go for the Stone glacier 100%, nobody beats their bag designs as far as that goes. Ive run both bags, never a fulcrum though. I never understood why people even like that thing. It looks like a huge strappy mess, specially when its not fully loaded to the gills, as most kifaru packs are. Some people dont like SG packs because of the lack of pockets/organization. They do sell pockets to attach to the inside of the bag if needed. SG has wayyyyyyy better costumer service than kifaru. I do like the duplex lite frame, it is comfortable but so is the SG frame, but the SG bags are far superior in design than kifaru ones. Those two packs will likely be 2-3 lbs different with SG being the lighter of the two, kifaru is famous for listing a lighter weight on their website than actual weight of their products.

As mentioned above, the Exo K4 coming out at the end of this month looks awesome. It really looks like a mix of a kifaru ( frame ) and nice bag (SG) in one. They do have a 7600ish ci model coming out as well which might suit you. Ill be grabbing a 5600 from them!
    I was told about Exo on here, one of the reasons I didn't choose it was because I want one bag that I can take and be gone for 10 days.

But..... that K4 looks nice and they got one in the upper 7000 ci. Will have to look into that bag for sure!

Here’s a link that shows behind the scenes of how K4 was developed if it interests you.
    https://exomtngear.com/blogs/article...xItM%3D.PEZ75u

As I said before, I love my Kifaru, excellent product, Aron and his crew are awesome to deal with. Customer service is phenomenal, I had a small tear on a strap on my waste belt. It was 100 percent abuse. Had an elk in my pack, took it off to find a way to navigate down a cliff, pack fell over and rolled off the cliff and it caught on some brush. Sent a picture to kifaru, they sent a brand new waist belt, next day air to Canada. No questions asked.
    I’ve talked to Steve and Mark at Exo a few times, both great dudes. Exo packs got their own reputation for being one of the best. Like Kifaru, they are a small company, that produces a quality product. 100% of the material, workmanship, design etc. is in the USA. Their customer service is next level. If the small chance you have an issue, call them and they will go above and beyond for you.
    Nothing but good experiences with both companies, but after talking to a couple of the guys that ran the K4 prototypes, I’m personally sold on K4. Their new 7200ci bag is actually over 7800. If a guy can’t get 10-14 days worth of gear in that, they need to learn to pack.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 03-15-2023 at 03:22 PM.

Probably super late to the party but id sell you a Ranger green fulcrum gen 1 for cheap! Its a great bag I just got a ma deuce that i prefer. Im in the kootenays but would ship.

I got the exo K4 5000 a few months ago now. Its my favorite pack, great design, frame is really comfortable. Hard for me to say but i like it better than the SG packs ive owned.

I purchased a SG sky 5900 xcurve. And I had it for a little year and could not get it to fit correctly. Spoon glacier was awesome they Phone name directly and tried to help me out to get a to fit even sent me new stays. But no matter what I could not get it to sit comfortable. I then bought the kifaru The waste belt is a million times better. Hands down the best on the market. My best advice if you could get to see Omer tried them on and see What fits best for you and put 70lbs in the pack when u are getting it fitted