Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-20 sheep tags won by father and son. Now for the research!

6-20 sheep tags won by father and son. Now for the research!

Hello, everyone.

My son (23) and I have BOTH pulled LEH tags for Aug 1 to Oct 15.
    We needed the summer time slot since I am a teacher. He finally gets his degree this April, so we should be okay for timing, fingers crossed.
    We are both in great shape, but time is marching on for me (blown meniscus in the Pacific Cup in late January - SO NEEDING THAT TO HEAL NOW!!!). Ian and I MUST make this happen before some health issue takes me out of the picture.
    Ian has done several alpine hikes, and we are both well equipped and experienced lightweight campers, although most of that has been portaging canoe trips on and around Vancouver Island.

My 83yo dad wants to come along as the camp chef. He is utterly incapable of strenuous exertion, he's not fat, but his CVS is not great.

Ian and I honestly don't care if we shoot a sheep. HONESTLY.

My current vision of a perfect trip is the 3 of us drive up at the end of July, leave dad somewhere enjoyable for him (perhaps beside a trout infested body of water hahahahaha), then Ian and I hike in. It would be fantastic for Ian and I to get to likely locations more than once, with 1 to 3 nights in on each hike. This way we can check in with dad occasionally.

If anyone in HBC land is willing to share tips that I find to be relevant, I would be 100% willing to take you fishing on the west coast. I am in Port Alberni and am a successful ocean harvester. The more relevant the tips, the bigger the trip

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 6-20 sheep tags won by father and son. Now for the research!

How much time were you planning for the entire trip? Personally I'd fly in to one of the lakes, base camp dad there and spike out for a few days at a time.

Fly into cold fish lake. The BC parks camp there will be comfortable for gramps. Nice cabins, with communal cooking facilities, and in the past even had running water and hot showers at times. Good fishing in the lake, but you should probably bring a boat if grandpa wants to fish lots. You'll be spiking out for sheep, either to the northeast or southwest outside the ecological reserve. A solid 1+ days hike to huntable sheep areas, but it's your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Fly into cold fish lake. The BC parks camp there will be comfortable for gramps. Nice cabins, with communal cooking facilities, and in the past even had running water and hot showers at times. Good fishing in the lake, but you should probably bring a boat if grandpa wants to fish lots. You'll be spiking out for sheep, either to the northeast or southwest outside the ecological reserve. A solid 1+ days hike to huntable sheep areas, but it's your best bet.
    By 'northeast' did you mean Northwest? if not, there is also sheep to the northwest but i agree all 1 day hike to spike camp, if leaving early, can get an evening glass/hunt in on day 1. It might be physically demanding to do that hike back and forth to check on Dad.... however, coldfish lake should be other people around.

Coldfish would be a great choice for leaving Grandpa. They had hot showers running last year. Generally they won't let him use the parks boat or canoe so if he really wants to fish you'd have to bring something with you but there is decent fishing in the lake. Spike camp is a days walk for sure so Gramps would have to be comfortable hanging out with whomever is caretaker at the parks camp. It's usually a couple doing caretaking duties. If you do Coldfish bring a set of Wiggys waders or something like that, the beavers flooded the trail to Danihue pass pretty badly last season and given that it's an ecological reserve where they are I doubt anyone has shooed them out of there. I went through no problem with Wiggys though.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL THE HELPERS SO FAR!!!
    Freakin' tax prep is killing my spare time atm, but I will reply and PM asap.
    A question, my dad is hot to book something (how cool is that???), so I wonder if getting there for the opening is a decent idea. My thinking is less chance of snow, and being back in Port Alberni in time for the big run of Chinook

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL THE HELPERS SO FAR!!!
    Freakin' tax prep is killing my spare time atm, but I will reply and PM asap.
    A question, my dad is hot to book something (how cool is that???), so I wonder if getting there for the opening is a decent idea. My thinking is less chance of snow, and being back in Port Alberni in time for the big run of Chinook
    Opening is always a decent plan. Expect to have others up there with you any time in August. I'd feel pretty safe about the weather throughout August.

If you are still in need of answers, I can help!
    Guided that area (from the hwy) for 10 years and know a fly in spot . close to Dease with great Dolly fishing, 1 day hike to sheep. send me a Tel#
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Hello, everyone.

My son (23) and I have BOTH pulled LEH tags for Aug 1 to Oct 15.
    We needed the summer time slot since I am a teacher. He finally gets his degree this April, so we should be okay for timing, fingers crossed.
    We are both in great shape, but time is marching on for me (blown meniscus in the Pacific Cup in late January - SO NEEDING THAT TO HEAL NOW!!!). Ian and I MUST make this happen before some health issue takes me out of the picture.
    Ian has done several alpine hikes, and we are both well equipped and experienced lightweight campers, although most of that has been portaging canoe trips on and around Vancouver Island.

My 83yo dad wants to come along as the camp chef. He is utterly incapable of strenuous exertion, he's not fat, but his CVS is not great.

Ian and I honestly don't care if we shoot a sheep. HONESTLY.

My current vision of a perfect trip is the 3 of us drive up at the end of July, leave dad somewhere enjoyable for him (perhaps beside a trout infested body of water hahahahaha), then Ian and I hike in. It would be fantastic for Ian and I to get to likely locations more than once, with 1 to 3 nights in on each hike. This way we can check in with dad occasionally.

If anyone in HBC land is willing to share tips that I find to be relevant, I would be 100% willing to take you fishing on the west coast. I am in Port Alberni and am a successful ocean harvester. The more relevant the tips, the bigger the trip

The help on this post is what you don't see on any of the facebook sites and is one of the many reasons we have to keep this site up and running. Good on ya all who have contributed. I hope to see a post on this trip later this summer as it sounds like the makings of a successful trip already whether or not you harvest an animal!

if you are interested in this landing spot, let me know for long lat coordinates