Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The frustrations of bowhunting Part 3– There Ain't no such thing as a sure thing

The frustrations of bowhunting Part 3– There Ain't no such thing as a sure thing

Part 3 There ain’t no such thing as a sure thing.

Wednesday morning, October 25, I decided to go for a quick hunt before work. I started work at noon, so head toward the spot near my house – 10 minutes – hike to the ledge, 30 minutes – hunt until 10am, then race back home, shower and work. The plan is simple.

As I near my hunting spot, I caught a glimpsed of a deer running away. In reality, the deer never went away, but was furiously thrashing a bush. As soon as I realized what was there, I retracted. I took my shoes off and put on my stalking socks. I moved behind a sage tree and stood up. I could see what looked like a 3-point. I can’t really tell for sure since the twigs are masking part of his head. I raised my bow, put my 20-yard pin on his chest and fire. By now, you probably guessed what happened. . . yep, I missed. Way too low, he was probably 40 yards away. The buck spooked and jumped a few steps back and looked at me broadside. I think he’s too far, but he doesn’t move. This time, I picked the range finder and ranged him at 60 yards. That’s my limit in the vineyard at a target. That’s big deer and I can see it’s a 4-point. Full draw, put my red pin on his chest and pulled my index back. The luminock lit up and traced the path of the arrow all the way up to the deer. Not a passthrough and further back than I would have preferred.

The buck took off and disappeared behind the mountain. Is it mortally wounded? I think it is. Is it? I went back to put my shoes back on and looked at my watch. Checked online wait time if you hit a deer far behind. 4-6 hour wait if liver, 1 day for gut. Damn. So I went to where I made contact with the 4-point. I can see where he took off and he went onto a trail. I can see very far ahead, so I ventured on with the binoculars scouting ahead. Deep entrenched hoof prints on the sandy ground. Easy to see. Phew. Then blood! Some drops here and there. I am now ready to back out. When I see my arrow. No gut, thick blood covering about 20 inches. I feel relieved. The buck will die. I showed the picture to my buddy and talked about the situation. Dead deer but could move more before expiring. I continue to press forward slowly. More blood, bigger splashes. Tracks deep in the ground, the deer was still hoping away at that point. 20 minutes walking at a still hunter pace and I see the tracks leaving the trail going down into the open area. Even without the binoculars, I can see the buck dead across the pathway down below. I looked at my watch – 8:20, I might still make it to work.

Last edited by Stéphane; 10-31-2023 at 09:09 PM. Reason: wanted to add pictures

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The frustrations of bowhunting Part 3– There Ain't no such thing as a sure thin

Well done that’s a dandy

Re: The frustrations of bowhunting Part 3– There Ain't no such thing as a sure thin

Congratulations Stephane that’s a beauty buck. Don’t hear about archery mule deer too often!

That’s a nice buck - congrats and good on you for persevering through a miss!
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Nice Buck man, the smiles bigger when you get him with the bow to boot. Nicely done

Thumbs up Re: The frustrations of bowhunting Part 3– There Ain't no such thing as a sure thin

Congrats Buddy! Well Done!

Nice buck and way to persevere.

So, what happened with the shot described in part one?

Wondering...

Cheers,
    Matt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Congrats Buddy! Well Done!

So, what happened with the shot described in part one?

Wondering...

Cheers,
    Matt
    I didn't bend at the hip. . . lowered my arm. I haven't shot anything from a tree stand in two years. . . totally forgot to bend at the hip.

Great buck, excellent story.

Thumbs up Re: The frustrations of bowhunting Part 3– There Ain't no such thing as a sure thin

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    I didn't bend at the hip. . . lowered my arm. I haven't shot anything from a tree stand in two years. . . totally forgot to bend at the hip.
    Roger that.
    My days of climbing into a tree stand are well over now.
    I'd likely forget if I had to too...

Cheers & Congrats once again!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Just wondering if your broached opened or not? I tried those things and had terrible luck with them not opening, breaking etc. Really nice deer sir!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."