Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Turkey

Re: 2023 Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by bcfirefly View Post
    ........ I just go east to Reg 4 an hour away and take my pick of south facing slopes.
    Do you cross Arrow Lake?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Birds were very chatty opening weekend.

We went 3/3 with all of them coming midday after a close call at fly down. Know of a few R8 longbeards that got dumped as well.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I took the kiddo out for opening morning and we didn't hear a single gobble. Different than past years when one was torn on which gobbler to go after. She did call in a hen to 15 yrds and ran into some Tom's on private, but unable to call them away from all the hens. Region 4

We were in the WK and found the birds still in large flocks (30+ in a couple cases). Definitely a late spring but still quite vocal from the groups we were into. They were fairly chatty off the roost then things went quiet for a couple hours. Once late morning rolled around, we were able to get some long beards fired up and separated from the main flock. All 3 were shot after 12:00.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

My son and I had a great opening weekend, good thing because that’s all the time we had to hunt! After backing out on a bird that we realized another hunter was set up on at first light (and subsequently shot) the youngster made good on a run and gun opportunity about 30 mins later.

Then on day 2 I had a couple gobblers sound off in the dark a couple hundred metres from where I’d silently slipped in to. After a repositioning from my first setup, their curiosity got the best of them and in they came. I had mine down about 6:30 am. These 2 only gobbled 4 times between the 2 of them the entire time - and not once after fly down.
    2 different birds I had worked midday on the opener were far more vocal but would not commit.
    Last edited by Krico; 04-20-2023 at 09:57 PM.
    Twist and pull.

New to hunting, been out a couple times this year on public land looking for turkeys and I've gotten relatively close to a few gobblers. Anybody here know anybody with some private land in the Kootenays that I might be able to take a bird on?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hughes View Post
    New to hunting, been out a couple times this year on public land looking for turkeys and I've gotten relatively close to a few gobblers. Anybody here know anybody with some private land in the Kootenays that I might be able to take a bird on?
    I would suggest you just keep at it on public ground if you are locating birds. Take what you’ve learned and adjust your approach. Even when you play everything “right” often times the birds don’t cooperate. Private land birds aren’t any easier to hunt in my experience.
    There are countless turkey hunting videos on YouTube, podcasts etc all full of advice. Time spent in the field watching and listening to the birds in person is the best way to learn.
    Twist and pull.

Originally had plans to head to the EK for the final weekend of the season, but things changed. Thinking about heading to the WK instead (Grandforks area). I’ve never hunted over there before and was wondering if anyone would care to offer up some insight about public land around those parts. Are there lots of birds out that way or does a guy have to go further east towards trail area? I’m hoping to slip away with my young fella for a couple days. I tend to use iHunter with the public/private land layers. Thanks in advance.

Got out this morning. Got to a spot a few minutes before sunrise. As we are setting up and settling in, a gobble teased us off the distance. Alright we are in the area! Then it was quiet for a bit. Did some calling and tried not to call too much. Started getting some gobbles a bit closer but they weren’t closing the distance after about an hour plus some. Move towards the bird(s) a couple hundred yards and are now set up on a bench that drops away from us. Couple calls and a gobble comes back. Changed tactics and stayed quiet for a bit and gobbles got closer. Then poof, gone. Silent. Nothing. Try to wait it out but knowing that Turkey was well within a 100 yards got the best of me. Crept up about 30 yards to peer into the forested gulley, nothing moving, watch it for a bit and nothing. Beautiful day though in 8-15! Crept around for a bit but didn’t hear or see any birds. Back at it tomorrow morning! I have no idea if my tactics are gonna pay off but it’s a blast. Thought I might see bear sign as well but didn’t come across any in this pocket of land. Good luck to those still chasing these birds!

https://imgur.com/a/IjUTvKd

My first Turkey, Region 8 bird earlier this month. Going to look for region 4 birds this weekend. Got hooked on them already.
    Last edited by Dayton.bailey6; 08-31-2023 at 10:21 PM.