Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Turkey

Re: 2023 Turkey

Planning a few days out after the big birds myself. I wish there were more flocks closer to Kamloops as well. There's a season in a few region 8 WMU's up toward Vernon/Armstrong. Anyone care to share any info of what bird numbers might be like in those areas? I know that the numbers get better the further south you go in the province, would like to find some a little closer to home. Not asking for anyone's sweet spots, just a bit of a heads up for scouting trips.

Hey DJK! West Kootenay boy turned Kamloops local here - I did take a tour through 8-26 last weekend where there is a GOS for Turkey in April, didn't see any but found some places to go back scouting for upland birds closer to the Fall. Would love to connect and compare notes if you're looking for turkey north of Vernon, I don't think they are up this far yet!

In the Vernon area, I heard there was a small flock in the Commonage area. Could go up there with a turkey call and see if any answer your call.

West Kootenay is greening up nice, still hit snow not too high up the road once you leave the valley bottoms. Are there birds around Grand Forks/Rock Creek/Beaverdell over in the eastern reaches of Region 8?

Quick evening hike and scout, and south slopes are pretty much snow free from what I was seeing.. Luckily found a patch of snow that had a track in it though so that was exciting. Flushed a few grouse, shit myself each time. Ma and pa enjoyed the new sights and sounds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
    West Kootenay is greening up nice, still hit snow not too high up the road once you leave the valley bottoms. Are there birds around Grand Forks/Rock Creek/Beaverdell over in the eastern reaches of Region 8?
    I’ve read rock creek has turkeys, no personal experience. Closest I seen was near Greenwood, this past Christmas period actually, maybe they werent ‘wild’. They were pretty close to the highway and on private property and was curious if they have spread in numbers that way. (Maybe someone else can confirm how they are doing west of grand forks?) grand forks has them, but nothing like I’ve seen east of the Paulson. Castlegar, slocan they are like cows in fields. Couldn’t believe it when I started exploring those areas recently.

The problem with the areas around Vernon is access to crown land. There is a good number of birds up on the commonage but need permission to get to them for the most part. Unfortunately no season just to east in Lumby / Cherryville where there is birds in decent numbers and lots of crown land. Towards Salmon Arm I have seen birds while driving hwy 1 but haven't spent any time hunting them. I just go east to Reg 4 an hour away and take my pick of south facing slopes.

Anyone connected yet?

There are definitely wild birds in Rock Cr area. North side above the dump is an area to look at. Steep south facing slope there. I get shock gobbles when doing a crow call on my front porch. Love it!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

took a stroll out on opening day and no gobblers sounding off. Ran into a few hens wandering and a flock with 2 toms but couldn't call them off. Surprised there was no talking by the Tom's. This was West Kootenay's

There are a few Big Tom's down.
    The cold has made for a bit slower start.
    Great fun and good eating
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA