Thread: Predator Mouth Calls for Bear?

Predator Mouth Calls for Bear?

So i'm wondering what predator calls everyone uses and what's the most effective for bear?

I have a fawn bleat call (flextone extractor) and a primos double cottontail. I've been eyeing those Rocky Mountain "atomic" calls, but i dont know if they're actually any good.

Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Predator Mouth Calls for Bear?

Grass whistle fawn bleat free and readily available when I need it.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

can't see why they wouldn't work on the odd bear.

Ive called them in (got them to close the distance to me) with:

primos bear buster (sounds like a rabbit in distress);
    deer talker(trying to sound like a doe balling for a lost fawn);
    primos ivory plate(trying to sound like a calf elk);
    blade of grass between my thumbs ( saw a bear on a hike, didn't have a call and wanted to see what he'd do).

bear buster and deer talker have also sent some running, but elk call hasn't. Some bears simply don't seem to care regardless of what you use or how loud it is. I do try and avoid calling when they are less than a few hundred yards as it almost always spooks them.

For the amount of time I have tried calling, I wouldn't say it has been all the effective but fun to try when you see a bear that is just in a nasty spot that you have no intention on climbing into.

Keep your head on a swivel, it's the bear you don't see that usually appears from nowhere. Like this guy who showed up from behind that stalked on me from above

Last edited by Ron.C; 03-09-2023 at 06:20 PM.

Phelps makes a bear cub distress call. I got one for my kid @ Xmas, sounds decent.

https://nechakooutdoors.ca/phelps-bear-cub-pcr3-closed-reed-predator-call/
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004