Thread: Dog crates

Dog crates

I’d like to get a couple crates for the dogs. I’ve got the wire crates for at home, but would like something for travel.
    iv got a gsd cross, who’s about 80lbs at 1 year old and a 12 week old husky. I’d like to find 2 crates that would fit behind the front seats in a dodge quad cab, and be suitable to put in the back of the truck aswell.
    what do you guys use? Any suggestions on brands? How do you guys keep your dogs when driving?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dog crates

When exploring the same question for our lab, we settled on a crash test rated harness, rather than a crate.
    https://www.centerforpetsafety.org/c...clickit-sport/

If space wasn’t an issue, I’d have bought a Gunner Kennel:
    https://gunner.com/

yes, they’re spendy, but it’d be an investment.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I use a large size vari kennel for my 63# lab.

I have a 1/2 ton chev crew cab and kennel fits behind the driver seat on the floor with the rear seat flipped up. Dog can get in and very easily ( she actually uses the running boards getting in/out).

The same kennel fit in my old extended cab GMC but had to be on the seat (not enough floor room with back seat flipped up).

No way I can fit 2 of these kennels back there, a tad to long
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-09-2023 at 11:48 AM.

I think the length of kennels big enough for the dogs is going to prevent me from putting 2 back there.
    Once the young pup is older Il probably keep them in the box in some ruffland or similar kennels. Just looking for ideas for keeping 2 bigger dogs in the cab in winter.

Get a Suburban?

Unfortunately with the 80# GSP, you will be looking at a minimum of a large in a Ruff Land kennel and two Large would not fit into the backseat. The maximum size to fit two kennels in the backseat of a pickup would be their “Backseat Rider” which is smaller than their Intermediate kennel.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Well it looks like Il just get a canopy and a couple crates for the box. I’d prefer them back there anyway, keeps the truck cleaner.
    now just to find a good deal on some good crates.
    ruffland seems to be the most affordable, but 2 crates would still be around $1000. Some other brands like kj custom crates would be closer to 3000$. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    Well it looks like Il just get a canopy and a couple crates for the box. I’d prefer them back there anyway, keeps the truck cleaner.
    now just to find a good deal on some good crates.
    ruffland seems to be the most affordable, but 2 crates would still be around $1000. Some other brands like kj custom crates would be closer to 3000$. Yikes.
    Made out of gold are they?? You should be able to find a decent crate for under $200 I would think. I just put up a barrier between the front and back seats so it's just like one big crate, but there is lots of hair to clean up.

Look on Facebook marketplace. Any airline approved kennel should be fine unless you have a crazy, chewing escape artist.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

For what its worth ,my pu rear seats fold flat and I run a DU front/back seat covers for winter .It helps on the seats but the drool is tiresome.After spending a day cleaning the truck I switch to 2 Vari X xlarge kennels in the box lashed with tie downs.I have a 80lb. lab and 55 GSP who is an escape artist ,she can open lever doors no problem ..