Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter goat hunt

Winter goat hunt

Got out for a winter goat hunt with a friend recently. Was a fun hunt with a multi-discipline approach involving different methods of travel. As soon as we arrived at the spot, we spotted quite a few goats in between the fog and clouds. Weather was iffy and it was lightly raining with it forecast to turn to heavy snow, increasing avalanche hazard... We decided to make a play right away and headed up using a standing treeline on a ridge on a huge slide path as cover. We worked to a point where we figured we'd get a good view and found 14 goats in and around a cave/ledge system. Combination of nannies, kids, and billies, but no monsters. Ranged them at 545 yards and with the rain having turned to snow and poor lighting we had to work closer to 330 yards. Decided this was the chance with heavy snow and getting late in the day. Lined up on the biggest billy and dropped him with a spine shot. He fell but his head was still up and moving, so I lobbed several more rounds into him (and around him) to no avail. Ended up having to dispatch him point blank as we walked up to him, these goats are tough critters. Rolled him down in the snow to get to a safer area less threatened by avalanches and then broke him down in the dark before picking our way down the mountain in a snowstorm. Got back quite late (11pm) and set up camp absolutely drenched by wet snow, and man those hot tents are nice for drying off. All in all was a great and interesting adventure with the bonus of a freezer top-up! Caliber was a .270 win mtn rifle, shooting old school 130gr winchester silvertip ammo. Billy was no monster at 8.25" 3.5 yrs old but as mentioned with weather and time limitations I'm happy to have him in my freezer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winter goat hunt

Heck ya I'd be happy with him too, congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pics...LEH I'm assuming, or did you shoot him during an open season?

that’s a Tough hunt in August never mind February, great job!

I don’t have any luck posting pictures on this site anymore unfortunately

Arrow Re: Winter goat hunt

Quote Originally Posted by kitnayakwa77 View Post
    I don’t have any luck posting pictures on this site anymore unfortunately
    Check your pm's...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thumbs up Re: Winter goat hunt

Awesome!!

Certainly can tell the weather was crapping out!!

Cheers!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Nice share. Ya make it sound easy!!!! What are we looking at in the photo, goats wintering in the aspen on more gentle terrain? You skied in?

I sure like the taste of goat.
    Toughest critters in North America for sure.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Nice share. Ya make it sound easy!!!! What are we looking at in the photo, goats wintering in the aspen on more gentle terrain? You skied in?

I sure like the taste of goat.
    Toughest critters in North America for sure.
    bottom edge of a big slide after rolling and dragging him down to the safe place in photo to process

Quote Originally Posted by kitnayakwa77 View Post
    bottom edge of a big slide after rolling and dragging him down to the safe place in photo to process
    Thats makes more sense. Thought for a second that I could see a round bail off in the distance. Lol
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!