Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best bear shot ?

best bear shot ?

The critter doesn't always present a perfect shot, and some shooters are willing to try lower-percentage shots, so this may help decision making
    Remember.....you can always buy a second tag for a re-do
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: best bear shot ?

That very bottom pic doesn’t look like a shot I’d take. What do they call that? The “texas bullseye”

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Hmmm, think of this in a slightly different view What angle do you have on the bear if it is charging you? Look at the vital zone percentage you have to aim at!! Practice with your weapons folks, cause a black or a grizz, will charge ya if you dont get it right!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    That very bottom pic doesn’t look like a shot I’d take. What do they call that? The “texas bullseye”
    High tail, actually that can be a fairly disruptive shot, spine and some large arteries in the region, l or r is a massive bone structure

High tail, actually that can be a fairly disruptive rifle shot, spine and some large arteries in the region, l or r is a massive bone structure

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    High tail, actually that can be a fairly disruptive rifle shot, spine and some large arteries in the region, l or r is a massive bone structure
    I just wouldn’t want to clean the thing after. I’ve been around for a couple of gut shots and I don’t really know if I could stomach the smell and mess on my own.

All good head shot angles.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

That bottom shot is the one my brother ended up taking on his first bear during our moose hunt. He followed its shoulder as it turned to run away and fired. I still remember seeing the vapour as the bullet smoked into the top of it’s ass. I was shocked and confused why he had done that. But that bear died less than 30ft off the road.
    but not a shot I would ever take and not a shot he had intended and it missed the guts
    Last edited by ekul246; 03-01-2023 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    I shot a Mule Deer buck like that when I was a teenager, it buckled and dropped instantly, I hit it closer to the spine than the butthole. When I walked up I wasn't sure if I was going to have to put it out or not

I prefer broadside or quartering. I don't enjoy tracking things with pointy teeth/claws so I make a habit of breaking a shoulder while I'm at it. Use a good bullet and the meat damage is minimal. I did take a frontal shot with a PPU handload once and was very pleased when the bear crumpled on the spot, the recovered bullet looked like a perfect mushroom to boot (pushed at a mellow 2150fps MV).