Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting opinions

Re: Black bear hunting opinions

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Lots of people using the TTSX, might have to try them someday. I heard one complaint from an elk hunter of them pencilling right through and his bull escaping, anyone else having that issue with the TTSX??

I've been using SST Hornady in my 338, kinda big for a black bear though unless you want to anchor and tenderize him at the same time.
    Have used TTSX quite a bit and in half a dozen different calibres (and I do mean calibres not cartridges). I have never had one pencil. I have never had a TSX pencil. I hear about it but have never seen it happen and that includes guiding dozens of hunters that were using TSX/TTSX. As for the old original X bullets, I had little experience with them, but I talked to Randy Brooks way back and they made some changes to the X bullets because their had been instances where that occurred. I find a lot of hunters tend to "parrot" things they hear with no real life experience regarding what they are repeating...and I have seen all sorts of reports of "bullet failures" and lost game that turned out to be poor shot placement when we did in fact find the "lost" critter.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Kinda snobby, arne't ya? I suppose you only drink 18yr old scotch, smoke cubans, and use grey poupoune mustard? moosin
    Well if he is, I am a snob as well, because I agree with him. I like the 18 yr old scotch, cubans and grey poupon as well....
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Shot lots with a 338 win mag 185 grain Barnes, make quick work on a bear, yep high shoulder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Kinda snobby, arne't ya? I suppose you only drink 18yr old scotch, smoke cubans, and use grey poupoune mustard? moosin
    Yup scotch yes, Stogies never, mustard yes. But I’ll drink what even I’m given, even take a spring bear, but it’s got to be toooooo easy to turn down. High class Hart Highway Hill Billy, just like Beverly Hills only no see-ment pond.
    Last edited by MRP; 03-03-2023 at 01:04 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I'll most likely use a 6.5 Creedmoor(143ELDX) or 7-08(130 speer BTSP) for my spring bear, behind shoulder shot.

Younger bear only, <200lbs for burger/pepperoni/BBQ ribs, for eating.

I tend to take quartering shots where the bullet can pass through shoulder and neck. I've seen a couple bears shot in the neck and it seems to drop them instantly.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Clayton Mac one of the most famous Grizzly Bear guides ever, from Bella Coola was a firm believer in a double long shot. Only once did he have a problem and that was because the hunter didn’t follow his directions. His book Grizzly bears and white guys is a good read. Remington arms sent him one of the first 350 Remington magnums to try out.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    We all know that bears shit on the road, not in the woods. If you're going into the bush, they do it 5 minutes after you drive passed their area, and if you're on your way out, it's 5 minutes before you get there.
    Last edited by Yuritau; 03-03-2023 at 01:51 PM.

I'll take either my BLR in 358 win (180gr TTSX) or my Winchester XPR in 6.5 creedmoor (130gr Swift Scirocco), whichever I feel like grabbing on the day.

I just bought a nib Zastava 9.3x62, so probably use that if I find ammo or components.
    Just a conspiracy bro!