Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting opinions

Re: Black bear hunting opinions

Quote Originally Posted by maze View Post
    I'm going to be using 180gr 30-06 rounds, but i'm wondering if i could use 165gr if im 300 meters or less away...
    I’d bet money that a bear won’t notice the 15gr difference, supposing you put the bullet where it needs to go.
    They’re not bulletproof by any measure - I’ve taken one with a .243, and there are a few guys on here who claim to use .223.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

30cal 165gr bullets would do fine job on black bear. My 308win "truck" gun is set up with 165gr accubonds for anything I encounter in BC within reasonable range....

I will probably watch my kid drop another with his .243. I will likely stick with my .308 and 150 grains just because its my newest rifle, but thats a game day decision. Bears aren't hard to kill, just let the air out and they don't go far.

I'll be using my ole Lee Enfield with a 150gr interlock at about 2500fps on mine and my son's spring trip. I've used it for all my big game so far.

It all depends which firearm I decide to pack, 300 win. mag with 180gr. Nosler Partitions spitzers, or 338 win. mag with 225 Nosler Partitions spitzers. Shot placement? Close range I'v taken two with 1 to the neck, they don't go very far. If they're out there a ways, say 50-75 yds. double lung them. I don't believe in shooting bear at long range, if you play the wind you can get very close.

Last spring was the 6.5 Grendel with a 115gr Barnes. This spring might be the 22 Creedmoor with 77gr LRX
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Last spring was the 6.5 Grendel with a 115gr Barnes. This spring might be the 22 Creedmoor with 77gr LRX
    Isn't a 22 caliber a little on the lite side for bear? I would think that if it's not the absolute perfect shot could wound the bear and cause unnecessary pain ??

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I keep it simple. 30-06 150gr and double lung. It's the biggest target and very fatal. Furthest I have had a double lung shot bear go is 15-20 yards. No meat wasted.
    Same here, other than I've always shot them with a 180 grain .30-06 bullet...

I've only dropped one. But the 145g .270 sure did the trick. This year, if I can get my 308 dialed in I'll be carrying that. But, just because my fancy new BLR is light and easy to carry, that's what I want to use.

Possibly a .308, but I have a 45-70 that I've never harvested an animal with. 300gr TSX sound good.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g