Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting opinions

Re: Black bear hunting opinions

Going with one other guy in late April to the west coast of the island. I'll have my trusty longbow 55lb at 28" draw with a G5 carbon broadhead. Our deal is regardless of who sees the bear first the archer gets to choose stalk or not. If not then buddy cracks at it with his 7mm. Once he has one down then if a second rifle opportunity presents itself then I'll use my Cooper 338.06 with Barnes TTSX 185gr. Vitals always. See Ron C's post above.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

308 Win w/150gr Norma SP- 30-06 w/180gr SP-8x57 170grSP/180gr TSX/195grSP are in the works this year. Depends what flavor of cartridge I'm feeling that day.

X-bolt in 30-06 with 150gr TTSX

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Isn't a 22 caliber a little on the lite side for bear? I would think that if it's not the absolute perfect shot could wound the bear and cause unnecessary pain ??
    Well the 77gr Barnes is going a bit over 3400 fps, and it will penetrate deep enough from any reasonable shot angle. If a guy subscribes to energy being a valid way to predict killing effect, it has the same energy at 100 yards as the 30-30 makes at the muzzle.

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I can't decide if I want a fat fall berry fed bear, or a grass fed spring bear. Firearm of choice will be a LE no4. Might bring my bow just in case I feel like a challenge.
    Last edited by MDR; 03-02-2023 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I can't decide if I want a fat fall berry fed bear, or a grass fed spring bear. Firearm of choice will be a LE no4. Might bring my bow just in case I feel like a challenge.
    In my opinion a August huckleberry bear is the best a close second is September oat fed.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeater View Post
    It's getting closer to spring black bear season. Curious to see what caliber, bullet type everyone will be using? Also what do you consider the "sweet spot" on a bear to aim for?
    Me I'll be using either 270win/130gr TSX or 300win mag/150gr TTSX. Aiming for behind the shoulder...
    NO ! Aim FOR the shoulder and Bust them down ! Better to anchor them right there . might need a finisher shot BUT much better then chasing them into the BUSH . The TSX abd TTSX are Excellent bear killers ! RJ

Well this year will be my first attempt for bear and planning on using my
    Excalibur Bulldog 440
    18in Zombie Slayer with a 125gr 1"in Tooth of the arrow total weight 455gr
    shooting at approx 420ft/sec

between 30 - 40 yards
    Double lung Shot middle of the middle and a couple inch's towards the shoulder
    “The wise man is one who, knows, what he does not know.”
    Lao Tzu.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    Albert Einstein
    “Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

Lots of people using the TTSX, might have to try them someday. I heard one complaint from an elk hunter of them pencilling right through and his bull escaping, anyone else having that issue with the TTSX??

I've been using SST Hornady in my 338, kinda big for a black bear though unless you want to anchor and tenderize him at the same time.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    In my opinion a August huckleberry bear is the best a close second is September oat fed.
    Kinda snobby, arne't ya? I suppose you only drink 18yr old scotch, smoke cubans, and use grey poupoune mustard? moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"