Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting opinions

Re: Black bear hunting opinions

6.5-300 wby mag 127gr lrx lung shot

Quote Originally Posted by maze View Post
    I'm going to be using 180gr 30-06 rounds, but i'm wondering if i could use 165gr if im 300 meters or less away...
    I've killed moose at 325 yards with 30-06 165gr bullets, so sure you can.

https://youtu.be/jZZBEBhZxLk

Tried to embed it, but no beuno.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Isn't a 22 caliber a little on the lite side for bear? I would think that if it's not the absolute perfect shot could wound the bear and cause unnecessary pain ??
    Bullets matter more than headstamps.

Good bullets spun fast enough at an appropriate velocity are a lot more similar across diameters than Joe Average realizes these days.

There is a lot less difference in effective wound channel depth and width across a very wide range of cartridges when you mate good bullet construction with the right twist rate and adequate impact velocity.

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 02-28-2023 at 06:52 PM.

Anything you would hunt deer with is appropriate. I've killed bears cleanly with everything from a .223 up to a 375 Ruger.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Last spring was the 6.5 Grendel with a 115gr Barnes. This spring might be the 22 Creedmoor with 77gr LRX
    Kinda like that mulie doe you took many moons ago, when Gatehouse was still wearing pink tutu's!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Kinda like that mulie doe you took many moons ago, when Gatehouse was still wearing pink tutu's!! Moosin
    Ah yes, the 'fireballed flat top'...I still remember a picture of gates sporting a mackinaw, balaclava and a set of green ape gloves (iirc)??!!! lol

'rifle
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.

I’m running tried and true .308.
    I’ve been stuck on using the 175 grain terminal ascent from federal, best bullet out there IMO.

Though I may bust a 500 S&W magnum out for the next bear and punch some half inch holes.. nothing quite like a 50 cal lever gun.. heh

that being said, one of my fastest cleanest kills was with a 6mm creed shooting a 95 grain bullet…
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 02-28-2023 at 07:03 PM.

.280 Ackley Improved with 155 gr. Edge TLR handloads or 6.5 CM with 140 gr. Accubond handloads. Behind the shoulder, unless angling towards. Then into the shoulder.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    https://youtu.be/jZZBEBhZxLk

Tried to embed it, but no beuno.

Bullets matter more than headstamps.

Good bullets spun fast enough at an appropriate velocity are a lot more similar across diameters than Joe Average realizes these days.

There is a lot less difference in effective wound channel depth and width across a very wide range of cartridges when you mate good bullet construction with the right twist rate and adequate impact velocity.

Doesn't bullet mass and energy matter? I'm not up much on ballistics but im pretty sure my 7mm mag bullet is more lethal than any 22 at any distance because of mass and energy. The hydraulic displacement difference of blood alone between the 22 calibers and larger calibers would be significant would it not as well as bone damage having said that like i said im not a ballistics expert by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post

Though I may bust a 500 S&W magnum out for the next bear and punch some half inch holes..
    I hear you on this post man, I have a 500 Jeffery that has only fired 10 rounds to be sighted in, I'm on the fence if I should take it or not.

On one hand it would be overly comforting to have a 500 Jeffery against black bear hunting with my 6 year old son
    but
    on the other hand I can shoot my parker hale lee Enfield like a shot gun (as soon as I pull it up it going to hit here I'm looking) and I've shot all my big game with it so far in my hunting adventures (mountain goat and 2 black tails)