Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting opinions

Black bear hunting opinions

It's getting closer to spring black bear season. Curious to see what caliber, bullet type everyone will be using? Also what do you consider the "sweet spot" on a bear to aim for?
    Me I'll be using either 270win/130gr TSX or 300win mag/150gr TTSX. Aiming for behind the shoulder...

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Black bear hunting opinions

Its a 9.3x62 with 270 speer handloads, or my recently rebuilt 300 win mag, which hasen't killed in 4 years, with 180gr swift sirocco handloads. I will always try to do an engine room shot on a black bear, aiming from the front shoulder to a couple inches back from there! If really close, i'll shoot for the neck, but usually its a 75-150 yrd shot! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

My freezer is still full from last year, so I’m taking a relaxed approach and trying for a bear with the bow. Hopefully I can connect with something worthy of a P&Y entry.

PSE Evo EVL 34 set at 50# and 30” draw. Lobbing a 30.25”, 300-spine, Killin’ Stix Original, total weight is 525gr with a Magnus Stinger 2-blade 125gr fixed-blade broadhead.

I’ll be aiming for “middle of the middle” and forward 2” or so.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I tend to shoot bears high in the shoulders to anchor them. Definitely wastes some meat though.

7mm RM 160gr Partitions this season. Formerly had good success with 160gr TTSX.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

7mm Rem mag

155g Federal premium terminal ascent

Middle of the middle then 2 inches towards the shoulder.

Be the same as the last handful of them probably, if I see a really big one it’ll be a Montec from a Mathews Switchback XT and it’s the middle of the middle.
    Otherwise it’ll be a 75 Amax or 88 ELD from a 223AI. Typically I shoot for shoulders on everything.

Thier vitals are farther back then allot of guys think.

I like to shoot em broadside through both lungs. Imagine a vertical line straight up off the front elbow. At about mid body height, 4 ish inches back will put you right in the center of the lungs with the biggest margine for error. (Or a few inches fwd of middle/middle as stated by savage 10)

Placing any standard deer bullet/arrow/bolt here will result in a dead bear in very short order.

Ive used 7mm-08, 303 savage, 30-06, .50 cal muzzle loader. Results were all the same. 2 holes, lots of blood, dead bear.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-28-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Use the 300 and smash his front shoulders.

I keep it simple. 30-06 150gr and double lung. It's the biggest target and very fatal. Furthest I have had a double lung shot bear go is 15-20 yards. No meat wasted.

I'm going to be using 180gr 30-06 rounds, but i'm wondering if i could use 165gr if im 300 meters or less away...