Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Tree Steps

DIY Tree Steps

Looking to see what you guys do for tree steps to get up to a hanging stand. I have the screw in steps that came with the tree stand from an HBC member but I'm wanting to do something like these https://www.wildedgeinc.com/store/p2...et_of_8.html#/.

The screw in steps can be pretty sketchy in the dark, rain, etc.
    I already have a harness and a lineman's rope and a safety line.

So, what do you guys do for your own homemade tree steps?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DIY Tree Steps

those steps look decent, pricey though

I prefer to use ladder stands for the most part, but I do have couple hanging stands and I just build a ladder out of pressure treated 2x4's which stays in the woods....is much easier on freezing cold toes coming down at the end of the day
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

i use strap on ladders and take the bottom section off. i doubt most people could get themselves up with the bottom removed . not diy but seem pretty good

I use the Tethrd Skeletor steps for saddle hunting. I either carry 3 and 2x 3 step aiders for the first two, or I carry all 4 no aiders. Still working on what I like best but like above, if I am returning to same tree next day I will remove the bottom one so noone can get up in em. I really only started saddle hunting last year and I do like it.

I stay consistent with my stands. Everything is compatible. FYI, I run about 8-10 stands. I use the screw in steps you can buy from Canadian Tire. You need between 15 and 20 steps per stand. More steps required than you realize around the stand, to hang things on, to grab hold of. Remember, climbing in, requires different hand holds than climbing out.

This is the difference with any ladder type configuration. No hand holds around the stand at the point of climbing in or out.

All of my stands are equipped with a piece of channel steel, that I can physically hang on a "T" I screw into the tree. With my harness and climbing belt to lean back on, this gives me hands free to secure the stand with two ratchet straps. The web wrap hanging stands can be dangerous. Man does not have the 3 arms required to safely secure the stand to the tree.

I have had some steps made. A bit more permanent. But my preference is the quick and easy steps you can buy. I paint all my steps a mix of brown, green, black to break up the colour. These steps/stand hang for a month or two before use, which usually removes any scent the equipment might have from my handling it.

Try to always have a large branch on one side for laying a piece of clothing on, or for leaning in to when you're a wee bit tired.

A bow hook in front and above (on a branch) for ease of grabbing without much movement and a couple hooks around the back of the tree for odds and ends.

Years ago I scored a 100+ 10”x 7/8” lag bolts. For my permit stands I predrill 3/4 hole 3” depth with cordless drill, insert lag bolt. Foot or hand will never slips off.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I stopped using lag bolts many years ago. While it seems like a good idea, there is some risk with them. They do bend with weight and I have seen a couple of hunters rip their clothing and their stomach from slipping on a bent lag bolt.

The standard screw in tree steps, can be screwed in and taken out without the use of additional tools. That makes them preferable to me. I'm not saying lag bolts aren't a good idea, only that in my experience, I stay away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I stopped using lag bolts many years ago. While it seems like a good idea, there is some risk with them. They do bend with weight and I have seen a couple of hunters rip their clothing and their stomach from slipping on a bent lag bolt.

The standard screw in tree steps, can be screwed in and taken out without the use of additional tools. That makes them preferable to me. I'm not saying lag bolts aren't a good idea, only that in my experience, I stay away from them.
    Yup size matters. That’s why I scooped these up no man on earth will bend 7/8”.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I've seen quite a few big spikes left in trees, old school I guess, when we had more trees to kill.

Those one piece tree stands decent ? Been looking at one at cabelas
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer