Thread: 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Threaded View

2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Afternoon folks.

Spring is almost here and it’s time to start thinking about the hunting season once again..

it’s a bit early I know, but I am intending to do another spring bear derby to pump up the hunting content on here.. now that everything is finally fixed and settled from all the flooding here, I’m in a position to run this derby again this year.

the first one didn’t go off as smoothly as I would have liked, so let’s hope practice makes perfect and this one goes off without a hitch.

Thus far the prizes will come out of my pocket, but once I have a solid outline of what the plan is, if anyone else wanted to contribute to the derby prizes that would be greatly appreciated by all involved I think.

that being said, as well as the first one went over, it wasn’t without its hurdles and complexities.

so far, I am leaning towards having just two draws, youth and adult.. and instead of going through the hassle of making people clean and measure their skulls… I am thinking the easiest would likely be, one entry per tag filled up to a maximum of 2 per person. That way every harvested bear gives the potential for a win instead of just the biggest, which encourages trophy hunting IMO and I want to encourage hunter participation more than anything.

Last timeI ran this, there were numerous folks who filled tags but once they saw the size of other bears posted, opted to not even contribute their hunting story and that’s counter intuitive to what I’m trying to accomplish.
    if anyone had any suggestions on ways to improve this, keep things more organized or just another idea in general let me know.

hoping if I’m starting this well in advance that it’ll come off without a hitch this year.
    it’ll run from first day of spring season, to the last day.. draw will be done In the first week or two of July.

I’ll make an official thread closer to April, but please use this one if you have any suggestions or input to offer.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 02-27-2023 at 04:26 PM.

2. Site Sponsor