Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Geez guys. As far as I understand it. Here's the important rules:

Bear needs to be killed in BC.
    It's FREE to enter!
    RyoTHC gets to decide everything at his discretion since he's awesome enough to do this

He's cool enough to ask for suggestions - it's FREE and meant to start fun conversations.

Or am I missing something?
    Nailed it on the head!!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

for interest-Here is the "rules and format" that I used to use for bear contests:

HBC Spring Bear Contest 2020

We haven't done one of these in a long time. I thought 2020 would be a good year to get started again. Anyone that wants to donate a prize please let me know. We can have categories for whatever we get a prize for.

General Rules:

All entries must be BC wildlife. 1 bear = 1 ballot for the draw
    All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this Contest thread.
    All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Apr 30/2020
    All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are acceptable.
    All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.
    Winners will be determined by random draw

Contest ends June 30/2020

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored.

Required Information

Species:
    Date of Kill:
    Region:
    Weapon used:
    Category Entered:
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:
    Short Story:

As always, I'll be soliciting donations for prizes. Please let me know if you have anything you can offer. Anything big or small accepted, with gratitude!

*****PLEASE READ THIS*******

Every year I discard entries from the contest, because they haven't followed the simple rules, and it's a real shame. Most of the discarded entries are because people post entries for their non member kids, wives or friends. (Not a member, can't participate, so get those people signed up! You have until end of September!)

Other common reason for discarding entry is when people just put a link in their post, with no photo or other information. There is a simple and easy to use format for entries, so please use it.

So get your relatives signed up, use the form, read the rules again to make sure your entry complies, and have fun!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I guess this would probably get too complicated unless we had separate groups for each, but what about with bows, compound and traditional if there was a point system they would get a bit more from compound to recurve to longbow lowest to highest respectively, considering the challenge they present is much greater than with firearms.

Or since it would be a draw (the better way I think forsure), could have one for firearms one for bows? Probably can't for reasons of prize and economics, idk just throwin out ideas because i'm going to try with the bow lol be cool though one category with firearms and one with bows and the bow prizes geared more towards archery or somethin. Maybe one year if we can put enough donation together or something
    Good idea, I know I'm going to try a bit with my recurve this spring...again, I don't think the prize should have to be monetary IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    for interest-Here is the "rules and format" that I used to use for bear contests:

We haven't done one of these in a long time. I thought 2020 would be a good year to get started again. Anyone that wants to donate a prize please let me know. We can have categories for whatever we get a prize for.

General Rules:

All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are acceptable.
    All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored.

Required Information

Species:
    Date of Kill:
    Region:
    Weapon used:
    Category Entered:
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:
    Short Story:

As always, I'll be soliciting donations for prizes. Please let me know if you have anything you can offer. Anything big or small accepted, with gratitude!

Every year I discard entries from the contest, because they haven't followed the simple rules, and it's a real shame. Most of the discarded entries are because people post entries for their non member kids, wives or friends. (Not a member, can't participate, so get those people signed up! You have until end of September!)

Other common reason for discarding entry is when people just put a link in their post, with no photo or other information. There is a simple and easy to use format for entries, so please use it.

So get your relatives signed up, use the form, read the rules again to make sure your entry complies, and have fun!
    Great idea gate.. i have alot of great photos..figure out how its easyier to post..ps on humting bc i am always on my phone... my computer is for work..
    Hunting predators is very important.. all my neighbours have noticed there pred issues for livestock and ungulate numbers have been increasing since i moved into my neighbourhood.
    Bears eat a lot of fawns and calves more than anyone realizes. Shooting spring bears is a great excuse to scout get cabin fever off your back and if the freezer is light a great top up.. most shitty bears are a meat handling issue not the bear. Eg guts out right away.hide off right away dont let hide touch meat.. and butcher quick.. age only in a vacum sealed bag in fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Bears eat a lot of fawns and calves more than anyone realizes. Shooting spring bears is a great excuse to scout get cabin fever off your back and if the freezer is light a great top up..
    Took the words right out of my mouth literally, exactly why i'm going to try and get my first one this Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Good idea, I know I'm going to try a bit with my recurve this spring...again, I don't think the prize should have to be monetary IMO...
    Yeah man forsure! Just the stories would be good and pictures, I contributed as much stuff as I could last year lots of pics. This year will be more, hopefully get a successful Bear hunt story in there somewhere too

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Does it have to have been shot in BC? What if a guy gets the opportunity to hunt in other jurisdictions? Does that allow more than two entries?
    Where are we drawing the line for ‘legal’ - baiting isn’t allowed here, but it’s allowed elsewhere…

Not trying to start a pissing match and I get that you guys want this to be simple and all, but it ain’t.
    I'd assume yes it's has to be in BC.....BC's spring season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post

General Rules:

Required Information

Species:
    Date of Kill:
    Region:
    Weapon used:
    Category Entered:
    Photo:
    Short Story:

assuming you don’t mind, I am going to steal this with some minor alterations.

surprised I missed this in 2020, had no idea I stole your idea when I did one haha
    oops!

Have a couple offers for donations so far, and I’ve picked up some gift cards.. going to do a write up and post an official thread in the next week or so.

I have another prize being shipped to me; and two others I have to work out picking up.. hopefully it’ll be well worth everyone’s time to fill those two bear tags.. if you’re not a fan of the bear meat cooked up yourself, take it to a butcher to have smokies pepperoni kielbasa etc made you can’t beat it ! Or talk to your local food bank as a lot will take it as a donation if it’s been butchered.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 03-14-2023 at 04:20 PM.

All this being said, if anyone else has anything they’d like to donate, maybe we can manage a couple different potential prize pools but as it stands it will likely be a general pool no matter how or age of who harvests the animal

I have no issue paying for shipping, or to arrange pickup before the contest gets rolling.

This is a good idea Ryo I like the idea ! I have always wanted to take a Spring bear .
    I realize that bears have worms but that posted video I think it was on HBC with that mile long tapeworm hanging out of that Black Bears ass is going to take me while to get out of my head !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !