Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Re: 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    There is always more participation with a lottery style entry system than just a "biggest bear wins" system.
    we had great success and participation in a 'hidden weight' contest
    anyone had a chance as the weight target was unknown until the 3 dice were rolled
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I’m very much looking forward to this as well RyoTHC. Thanks for spearheading it again this year, I too like the draw/raffle format vs biggest bear. I’ll see what I can donate as things progress.
    montec

The last bear we shot had worms in it,that was it for me turned me right off hunting bears completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    The last bear we shot had worms in it,that was it for me turned me right off hunting bears completely.
    Pretty much all bears have worms in them. Whether you see them or not, is only dependent on the life cycle of the worm. Perfectly safe to eat if you cook it well. Bear meat is excellent, if taken in the right area/time imho.

Me and my buddies do one every year in the East Kootenays. Everybody throws $50 or $100 in the pot. 1st or second week of July, we get together for a BBQ and beers. We measure all the skulls, whoever has the biggest skull, wins the pot. Just a friendly wager and a good way to motivate some people to do some predator management. I’m not a fan of bear meat at all as far as steaks, hams or whatever goes, but it does make excellent pepperoni.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 02-27-2023 at 07:04 PM.

I would be in if I could give the meat away I don't mine doing my part no cutting down the black bear population on the island.

should be welcomed at the Island Wildlife Recovery Center

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    I would be in if I could give the meat away I don't mine doing my part no cutting down the black bear population on the island.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Right on, RyoTHC!

As for worms in bears - yeah, so? Heaven help a guy put off by filarial worms when he finds a puss filled cyst in a deer or moose for the first time.
    As others have said, it doesn’t hurt the meat at all and at the temps bear needs to be cooked to for trichinosis, they don’t survive. At the very least, I have seen no ill effects from eating bear that definitely had filarial worms.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

As awesome as that is Ryo that you're donating some of your own $$ towards a prize, you honestly shouldn't even have to, there should be enough motivation from all members to post on this thread, and regardless of bear harvested size...we could make it a healthy competition merely for fun or 'bragging rights' if that's what motivates ppl... furthermore, hunters on the island+region 2 would technically have an upper hand on harvesting bigger bears on average, would they not?
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 02-28-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I'd be in for sure. Won't see my bear till May some time, LOTS of snow up here in the north this year!! I'm running low on sausage, so a bear will be put down by me this year! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"