Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Re: 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    I'd be in for sure. Won't see my bear till May some time, LOTS of snow up here in the north this year!! I'm running low on sausage, so a bear will be put down by me this year! Moosin
    I'm in the same boat...

Cheers

I really like the idea of participating for the love of hunting and sharing stories, not for the biggest trophy!

One pot for random and one for largest? Two entries if you shoot two bears?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    As awesome as that is Ryo that you're donating some of your own $$ towards a prize, you honestly shouldn't even have to, there should be enough motivation from all members to post on this thread, and regardless of bear harvested size...we could make it a healthy competition merely for fun or 'bragging rights' if that's what motivates ppl... furthermore, hunters on the island+region 2 would technically have an upper hand on harvesting bigger bears on average, would they not?

That’s a fair point, but this community has always been great to me and I’m not about to share the spots other people have shown me, so this is my way to pay it forward.

at the end of the day it’s good for the community and it’s great for the ungulate population and any ranchers near you will be happy as well.

I am waiting on input from a couple people who may be interested in donating to let them weigh in.
    I expect most bears will be entered in may and June.

and to whoever said the guys in the island have an advantage for size of bear, I’m confident the interior holds just as many big bruisers, there’s just a lot more space to spread them out.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    That’s a fair point, but this community has always been great to me and I’m not about to share the spots other people have shown me, so this is my way to pay it forward.

at the end of the day it’s good for the community and it’s great for the ungulate population and any ranchers near you will be happy as well.

I am waiting on input from a couple people who may be interested in donating to let them weigh in.
    I expect most bears will be entered in may and June.

and to whoever said the guys in the island have an advantage for size of bear, I’m confident the interior holds just as many big bruisers, there’s just a lot more space to spread them out.
    Well good on ya, your points are valid...now I only mention that region 1 & 2 bears may be larger on average due to the estuary and more abundant salmon food sources, as well as generally shorter hibernation times (although bears are not true hibernators) - potentially giving region 1 & 2 hunters an advantage..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Well good on ya, your points are valid...now I only mention that region 1 & 2 bears may be larger on average due to the estuary and more abundant salmon food sources, as well as generally shorter hibernation times (although bears are not true hibernators) - potentially giving region 1 & 2 hunters an advantage..
    Nothing potential about it, everyone is aware that if you want to hunt big black bears you do it on the coast, just like if you want to shoot a huge bull moose you go north not around Monte Lake.

Love the idea..already planned a bear hunting trip this spring to PG, This just makes it better. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Nothing potential about it, everyone is aware that if you want to hunt big black bears you do it on the coast, just like if you want to shoot a huge bull moose you go north not around Monte Lake.
    Ok bud, starting to get a bit stinky around here. Keep your tiny skull coastal bears and I'll keep shooting those small 20+" interior slobs.

That title goes to their neighbours to the north on Haida Gwaii. Not only are the black bears on Haida Gwaii larger than anywhere else in the province, but they are also bigger than any other black bears in the world.Oct 23, 2019

SUBSPECIES (RACE) RANGE AND PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICSUrsus americanus cinnamomum Most of British Columbia east of the Coast Range. Is generallylarger, with narrower teeth than U. a. altifrontalis. The browncolour phase is common.Ursus americanus altifrontalis Coastal race ranging from Oregon to Bella Coola, westernTweedsmuir Provincial Park, east into Manning ProvincialPark and Lillooet. Primarily black-phase bears.Ursus americanus vancouveri Insular race restricted to Vancouver Island and larger adjacentislands; large like U. a. carlottae but has smaller teeth. Primarilyblack- phase bears.Ursus americanus carlottae Insular race restricted to the Queen Charlottes; massive skull,large molars; only black phase.Ursus americanus kermodei Restricted to the coastal mainland of British Columbia fromBurke Channel to the Nass River and most adjacent islands.Includes white and black colour phases. The white colourphase is most common on Princess Royal and Gribbel Islands(about 10% of bears) but is seen occasionally throughout therange of Kermodei.Ursus americanus emmonsii Limited to the extreme north-west of the province; primarilyfound in Tatshenshini Provincial Park and adjacent Alaska;includes the rare glacier or “blue” bear