Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating Heart

Re: Eating Heart

Not too much. High in cholesterol.
    GOOD FRIENDS TO HUNT WITH, FRESH AIR TO BREATH, THE B.C. OUTDOORS, BIG GAME AND BROADHEADS, WHAT A LIFE. MAY THE DESTINATION OF YOUR PROJECTILES REACH YOUR DESIRED POINT AND YOUR NEXT HARVEST BEST YOUR BEST TO DATE.

My grandma always does our hearts up. Cleans it up then cuts slits in it to put little peices of garlic into it, then wraps the whole thing in bacon, and covers it with onion and bakes it in the oven. To die for!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3kills View Post
    take all the stuff out of the inside and stuff it and cook it like a roast...
    X2, use some bread, egg, bacon and seasonings! Its awesome, my favorite part of the animal!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Best part of the animal IMO. I slice it then trim some of the inside lining (you'll know what I mean when you cut it up).
    I usually make a stir fry too...it's very good.

I slice it in ~1/4" slices, starting from the tip and work back until you get close to the "VALVEY BITS" Then I cook it in a covered frying pan with butter or oil, Onion, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low-Med heat for ~1.5hrs. Makes a yummy meal!!

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

i clean it out stuff it and roast it i have also cut into strips batter it in tempura and deep fry it, any way you cook it it's the best part of the animal imo

I love fresh deer heart. Cut in 1/4in slices, dipped in flour and pan fried with butter and salt and pepper. Mm mm good!

I'll be cookin up some just as soon as I can...reading this is making me hungry.

Bow Walker Guest

Lightbulb Re: Eating Heart

Try Venison Heart this way for a treat...

Ingredients;
    venison hearts - enough for 4 people
    1 - 2 lemons - sliced thickly (rind and all)
    1 medium onion - coarsely chopped
    fresh sage leaves - torn in half
    lemon pepper seasoning

Method;
    Pre heat your oven to 300' Fahrenheit.
    Trim excess fat, veins, and connective tissue from the heart(s) both inside and out. Cut the wall between the heart ventricles or chambers so as to make a reasonable stuffing pouch.

Sprinkle the cavity with lemon pepper seasoning. Stuff the inside of the heart with alternating layers of onion, sage leaf, and lemon slices. Sprinkle the outside of the heart with lemon pepper seasoning, rub gently into the meat.

Place heart(s) on a rack in a roasting pan and cover. **Bake until approx. two-thirds done. Remove cover and finish cooking. Remove from oven and place the meat on a warmed plate. Cover loosely with aluminium foil and allow to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.

To serve - slice the meat into half inch thick slices and serve with vegetables or side dishes of your choice. Uncork some Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, or the old standby - Cabernet. Enjoy responsibly.

**Cooking times vary according to the size of the heart(s). Generally speaking, for 4 average sized hearts cook for a total of approx. 90 - 100 minutes. Do not cook past Medium-well.

Tested and approved by Bow Walker.