Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trail cam reviews / suggestions

Re: Trail cam reviews / suggestions

all of my cameras failed over time. Browning have slow trigger speed. I saw the black bear walked past the camera but it had no image/video on it. Spypoint has good trigger speed, but failed and and started to consume too much battery. From now on, I only care about quality/reliability. My next one will be Reconyx
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

I run mostly Brownings and have had very few issues. I am now adding the Amazon specials and have been very happy with them as well!

I put most of my cameras 9-11' up a tree using a section of tree stand ladder steps and have the camera looking down. I stack a bunch of stuff around the base of the tree and that seems to keep the bears away. Being high up in the tree stops elk from slobbering on it as well. Downfall is the site view is smaller and you don't get see anything back in the bush.

I build my own mounts using this design

https://cambushcamo.com/blogs/news/9...l-camera-mount

I am now running my Brownings on 12v10ah lithium batteries from the end of October until the spring. Up until the end of December, they had taken between 12000 and 15000 10 sec videos and were still around 100%. If I was running AA lithiums, each camera would have gone through 24 to 30 batteries at ~$2.75/battery. I am into each set up for $93 including battery, case and wired plug in.

Lost of choices out there. Check out https://www.trailcampro.com/ Lots of good reviews on there

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I leave mine out 365 days a year in northern Alberta, they all do ok but there is the odd random turd, some right out of the box. I have had the least problems with primos and wildgame innovations. I have tried bushnell, u way, spypoint, wildview, and moultrie, and a few really cheap ones I have forgotten the names of. The bears will eventually poke a hole in them and then moisture get in. They used to get messed with alot more but they are quieter and the IR flash helps so animals don’t mess with them as much. Never lost one to theft, only had 1 person walked by one of them in 12 years of running cams up until this year when some real nosy ****s pounded every single trail in my area for a week, but went home with nothing.

I have about 12 cams going at all times.

Lots of good advice in this thread. Like the tie wire idea.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 03-01-2023 at 08:05 PM.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

How to get a camera from taking a bunch of pics on windy days?
    I made sure no branches were in the way.
    Even with the other trees at a distance, cam still picked up wind on them.
    So you get some days with hundreds of photos.
    Calm days, no problem.
    And yes, bear seem to like readjusting the camera.
    Deer and sheep just sniff in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    ...Like the tie wire idea.
    Razor wire would be an even better idea for those asshats!
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

+1 for the DIY mounts. I made a few up with parts I was able to get at my work. Haven't put them up yet, but similar store bout mounts start at 14$ per unit. I had a decent sized buck actually destroy my stealth cam a couple years ago. Should be able to position them higher and angle them much easier from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Calm days, no problem.
    When you put them higher up, you reduce a lot of interference from the surrounding bush, plus bears seem to leave them alone.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    I run mostly Brownings and have had very few issues. I am now adding the Amazon specials and have been very happy with them as well!

I put most of my cameras 9-11' up a tree using a section of tree stand ladder steps and have the camera looking down. I stack a bunch of stuff around the base of the tree and that seems to keep the bears away. Being high up in the tree stops elk from slobbering on it as well. Downfall is the site view is smaller and you don't get see anything back in the bush.

I build my own mounts using this design

https://cambushcamo.com/blogs/news/9...l-camera-mount

I am now running my Brownings on 12v10ah lithium batteries from the end of October until the spring. Up until the end of December, they had taken between 12000 and 15000 10 sec videos and were still around 100%. If I was running AA lithiums, each camera would have gone through 24 to 30 batteries at ~$2.75/battery. I am into each set up for $93 including battery, case and wired plug in.

Lost of choices out there. Check out https://www.trailcampro.com/ Lots of good reviews on there

Cheers
    SS
    Have you tried any with the solar panel ,think may give one a try next have a couple spots in the opoen that would get day light most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Calm days, no problem.
    From my experience in some places I set them up I think sunlight can have an effect on this, the way it comes up or goes down in a certain area hitting a certain hillside and the shade moving along the ground. I have had a few places like this that took lots on some days and none or few on others. Captured Elk and Deer too but a looot of shadows/sun going up/down, I remember one spot in particular I set up on a draw, it got annoying and the trail was not being used too much so I got it out of there. Other places same cam no problem.

I like to hang old man’s beard on cameras. Makes them almost invisible. I also put them up at about 8-9 ft by screwing some climbing screws and then taking the out once the camera is up. I like the idea of the baling wire. That’s a good one.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet