Thread: Raising birds to hunt in private

Raising birds to hunt in private

Recently moved to a bigger property and would like to start raising pheasants or quail so I can work the dogs year round. Are there any restrictions on this or separate regulations to follow? Would be raised, released and hunted on private property. Having a hard time finding any resources online so would love to hear from someone already doing this.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Raising birds to hunt in private

Not to sound flippant or dismissal, but what if you raised them for your own consumption and a number just "happened" escape every couple of months? Any nosy neighbours that would take issue?

There was an operation at Little Fort (north of Kamloops) that raised pheasants for hunting. Anyone could book a time to hunt. I haven’t seen any advertising for it in recent times.
    If you are going to conduct this type of thing, whether as a business or just private, you have to give consideration to the neighbours. Nothing like gunshots to be going off constantly to piss them off. I remember the “cannons” popping way back with the starling onslaught during the ripening of the cherry crops. Sure could be aggravating.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

You are allowed to release pheasant turkey quail and chukar on private land all your round under Wildlife Act General Regulation 1.04.

If want to hunt them you still need to abide by bag limits and seasons for the region you are in unless you get a special license (which is what some clubs/outfitters have done)

I believe there is an exemption for hunting birds that are kept in release devices (kick trap or launcher) in that these birds are technically captive and therefore you are not actually hunting wild game. I can’t find reference to that anywhere so don’t take it as legal advice!

get in touch with the hidden valley conservation club. They have a web site and are a pheasant and chuker hunting club on the mid island. They raise and release birds on a property or farm up there. Should be able to fast track you or at least give you some good info

Also if you are releasing the birds in the lower mainland, unfortunately this is an Avian Flu hot zone. However, I have attached a link to an article in Gun Dog magazine that talks about precautions gun dog owners and trainers should follow.

https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/...ird-flu/461379

Thanks for the info! I will look more into the release devices, sounds like that might be the easiest way to get going.

Thanks! Ill reach out to them to see if they have some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by local.604 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I will look more into the release devices, sounds like that might be the easiest way to get going.
    Zinger, bird dog training launchers, they are a Canadian company. They launch them pretty good, great flush training device.