Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple questions for Hilleberg tent owners/users

Re: A couple questions for Hilleberg tent owners/users

Been using a Nallo 3 GT since 2008. It survived the worst storm we’ve ever been in with just a broken pole. I don’t think the pole would have broke if a stake hadn’t pulled out. Very scary and very glad to have been in the Hilleberg.
    It’s light for the size but it’s also a pain trying to find a spot that will fit the big footprint.

I also have an Akto and love it. I’d rather use two Akto tents, or similar, for two guys than one tent big enough for two people.

Allak, Niak and a sawtooth tipi… covers anything I want to do

No need for a black label, red is plenty

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Been using a Nallo 3 GT since 2008. It survived the worst storm we’ve ever been in with just a broken pole. I don’t think the pole would have broke if a stake hadn’t pulled out. Very scary and very glad to have been in the Hilleberg.
    It’s light for the size but it’s also a pain trying to find a spot that will fit the big footprint.

I also have an Akto and love it. I’d rather use two Akto tents, or similar, for two guys than one tent big enough for two people.
    Going to buy one next week, excited to try it out pretty quick here hunting for Bear and BT scouting

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Allak, Niak and a sawtooth tipi… covers anything I want to do

No need for a black label, red is plenty
    Going to go with the Allak

I’m leaning more this direction also due to the versatility of a smaller footprint, better sleep when alone in tent, split up and hunt solo if desired, if one tent is destroyed the fly of a solo tent can accommodate two, etc.

The Kaitum 3 I purchased in 2008 has been solid in all conditions. With kids I’d still take the larger tent.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Just got it in today, I ended up going with the 2 person Allak. Looking forward to trying it out soon here.

Do you guys just rely on the tent for rain or bring a tarp with you for safe measures?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Just got it in today, I ended up going with the 2 person Allak. Looking forward to trying it out soon here.

Do you guys just rely on the tent for rain or bring a tarp with you for safe measures?
    ^^^ nice tent

Should be no need for an additional tarp.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-09-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post

I always have a sil-tarp as well to take shelter under from bad weather when out hunting or setting it up at camp for hanging out under or cooking under in bad weather.
    Even in rain gear, it’s easy to get soaked when bad weather hits in the mountains. I’ve learned over the years that it’s often a better decision to crawl under a sil-tarp and wait out some bad weather.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 03-09-2023 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    ^^^ nice tent

Should be no need for an additional tarp.
    It is nice forsure the seams are super tough, can't wait to try it out next month

I always have a sil-tarp as well to take shelter under from bad weather when out hunting or setting it up at camp for hanging out under or cooking under in bad weather.
    Even in rain gear, it’s easy to get soaked when bad weather hits in the mountains. I’ve learned over the years that it’s often a better decision to crawl under a sil-tarp and wait out some bad weather.
    Looked at those, pretty cool lightweight small foldable backpack tarp might have to pick one up

I have owned/used many tents and have had four Hills, among these. My opinion, based on decades of use is that Hilles, are the best available.

However, I just bought a SG Six person dome from Omer and am VERY impressed by this line of tents....they are "Sling Fin" tents from California, and I suggest checking them out.