Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple questions for Hilleberg tent owners/users

A couple questions for Hilleberg tent owners/users

After researching suggestions into a good backpacking tent I think i'm going to go with a hilleberg, they seem to be top of the line.

Ideally with how expensive they are I would like a one tent does all, at least for the next couple of years anyways.

I am looking at the Nammatj 2 (GT I think), Tarra, and the Staika (thinking of going with this one it is fully free standing). I think a 2 man is enough because I mostly hunt alone and if the old guy can ever make it out on another back pack hunt I think we can make do with a 2 man tent.

These are all from their black label tent line.

For red label I was looking at the alek and the nolloh.

Question I have for Hilleberg owners/users is what tent do you got and what do you like + dislike about it compared with others you've tried. If you know the weight and size difference between their black line to their red line how significant is it? How do you like them in general and other things I should consider to purchase the right backpacking tent?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can chime in

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A couple questions for Hilleberg tent owners/users

I have run the yellow label Anjan 3 GT for two seasons now. For a 3 season tent, it is remarkably well built. They would not like me saying this, but would be hard pressed to get me looking into anything in Red or Black lines unless winter goat hunting became a regular occurrence. The Anjan 2 GT would probably suit me better, as I generally run the three man solo, but plenty of room for a second guy when needed. I found with other brands, the length was the biggest downfall, with the foot-box of my bag constantly getting wet (I am 6'2). I can comfortably lay down with a little room on each end. The GT option is great, especially for the minimal weight added, with enough room for a third person when rained in and playing cards. The only real downside I have found of the tent is the larger footprint, reducing pitch locations. Overall I have been extremely happy and always end up throwing it in the pack over my lighter 2-man.

They're all awesome, used a half dozen models and they all perform. Pick your weight and vestibule and go from there. IMO unless your doing extreme winter camping the black label line is unnecessary, the red lable is plenty even for heavy snow load and hi wind. The nammajt and nallo are my favs for the extended vestibule, the nammatj has more verticle walls, more head room and a better entrance. The staika is a heavy mo fo but bomb proof.

I had a hallo 3 gt great tent heavy but split the load with your hunting partner packing in. The tent will stand up to any winter conditions and serious winds and the set up procedure with hillebergs are awesome as you pitch the fly before the tent . I have never had any sort of failure with the tent. great value for the price and hilleberg tents retain hi resale value.

I have an Akto I bought from an hbc member, it’s bomb proof in as far as structural quality, the major drawback is condensation, I don’t have a footprint for it it so that may have contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by DStewart View Post
    I have run the yellow label Anjan 3 GT for two seasons now. For a 3 season tent, it is remarkably well built. They would not like me saying this, but would be hard pressed to get me looking into anything in Red or Black lines unless winter goat hunting became a regular occurrence. The Anjan 2 GT would probably suit me better, as I generally run the three man solo, but plenty of room for a second guy when needed. I found with other brands, the length was the biggest downfall, with the foot-box of my bag constantly getting wet (I am 6'2). I can comfortably lay down with a little room on each end. The GT option is great, especially for the minimal weight added, with enough room for a third person when rained in and playing cards. The only real downside I have found of the tent is the larger footprint, reducing pitch locations. Overall I have been extremely happy and always end up throwing it in the pack over my lighter 2-man.
    I'm almost your height (6'3), but with was thinkin about the free standing which is the staika (black) and I think the Alek is basically the red version of this tent, not sure if it would allow me the comfort and room on each end like the anjan has for you but it would be a smaller footprint I think. Which would give me a little bit for freedom in setting up location along with free standing.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    They're all awesome, used a half dozen models and they all perform. Pick your weight and vestibule and go from there. IMO unless your doing extreme winter camping the black label line is unnecessary, the red lable is plenty even for heavy snow load and hi wind. The nammajt and nallo are my favs for the extended vestibule, the nammatj has more verticle walls, more head room and a better entrance. The staika is a heavy mo fo but bomb proof.
    This is what i'm stuck on which label, like you and DStewart say the black could definitely be more than unnecessary and i'm not into packing unnecessary weight, but do plan on doing some later season pack in hunts in November this year for Deer, and eventually Sheep and Goat but that won't be for some years down the road. Probably go with a red label for now.

Thanks for the replies guys

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I had a hallo 3 gt great tent heavy but split the load with your hunting partner packing in. The tent will stand up to any winter conditions and serious winds and the set up procedure with hillebergs are awesome as you pitch the fly before the tent . I have never had any sort of failure with the tent. great value for the price and hilleberg tents retain hi resale value.
    Reminds me of Toyota, super reliable and tough, retains hi resale value lol. Going to pick up a Hilleberg in the coming weeks and a pack soon after that, looking forward to Spring putting them to use

I have a Niak and an Allak.
    Bomb proof.
    Niak I use 3 season as it’s a fair bit lighter than the Allak, which is overkill for most hunts season depending.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Im using a an ajan 2. I have owned and anjan 3GT which was awesome for two guys. But i mainly used it solo so it was way too big and kinda heavy at 5 lbs. Then used the akto for a handful of years and thats a great solo tent, right around 4 lbs. Now im using the anjan 2 only because im hoping to peel my son away from video games this spring and get his ass out! Its just a hair under 4 lbs.

Do you need a black label tent? I bet a red would suffice you.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    Im using a an ajan 2. I have owned and anjan 3GT which was awesome for two guys. But i mainly used it solo so it was way too big and kinda heavy at 5 lbs. Then used the akto for a handful of years and thats a great solo tent, right around 4 lbs. Now im using the anjan 2 only because im hoping to peel my son away from video games this spring and get his ass out! Its just a hair under 4 lbs.

Do you need a black label tent? I bet a red would suffice you.
    For the next couple years at least a red I think will be fine, think i'm going to go with the Allak, red label all season free standing 2 man.

When I start doing knarlier stuff in winter in a couple years and feel I need a black (definitely might not even then) then i'll make the upgrade or buy a second one.