Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Moose Hunt 2022

Re: Our Moose Hunt 2022

Quote Originally Posted by kevingm1987 View Post
    Yup, same thing happened to us in 2020. We were at a different spot in the MU but as we drove in we drove past people on the way out. After the first spot I found on google maps was a bust and the second one had people in it, we just turned down a side road. Ended up at a great spot. We put our hands over the fire and it was still warm! Good timing.

in 2021, we were in a different spot and got winded out, it was bad. We headed over to the natural spring to fill up water, near the campsite you stayed at, and noticed no one there. We quickly headed back and packed up and moved down there. Way more protected and way better camp site then the spot we had before.

Recognize a few of the pics, did you stay in the SW corner for most of your trip? I have been up the big massive burn from 2020 that backs on to the lake in one of your photos. The lake being in a different MU though.
    Correct, the lake at the burn is in a different MU.
    I don't know about a natural spring near the camp. We used the water from the river for cooking and washing. We brought our own water for drinking and topped up our jugs each time we had to make our too many trips into town lol.
    We covered a lot of ground in the MU. I am not sure where my dad and our friend spent most of their time when Marc and I weren't with them. We spent quite a bit of time going after the Monster and I wanted to spend more time in a few areas and figuring them out instead of seeing the whole MU and learning nothing in detail, all while burning a ton of fuel. Too much driving now makes me crazy and I absolutely despise it because I did it with people when I was younger whom I thought knew what they were doing and really didn't. I am whole-heartedly against just winging it and blindly driving all over hoping that something will jump out in front of us. I know it happens, as it did on this trip and it also happened with my second bear, but I really do despise doing more than is required.
    My dad thought it was hilarious that I was dead set against too much driving because we don't have the animal density anymore, in my opinion, like they did 40 years ago to make just driving roads for animals worth it, and then we killed a huge bull ON THE ROAD! But, it is what it is. I'm not complaining lol. It just goes to show that you never know what will happen when hunting.

I forgot to add that my dad measured the antlers before I left for the taxidermist. His long time friend who has killed many moose said he's never seen one in that area that big. My dad measured the spread from outside tine to outside tine at 44". His friend thinks I should get it measured. I think I will once I get it back from the taxidermist just for kicks.

That was great! Thanks for taking the time to share you and your families wonderful experiance!

Awesome story. Well written. Great pictures. Congrats on the memories made and the bulls harvested!

Great write up! Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome. Congrats!
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Great write up, great pictures.

Thanks for the story. Some memories to last a lifetime!

hmmm REALLY appreciate a great write up on hunting..with great photo documentation...you caught the essence of a moose hunt.your stick to it was noticed..tenacity..

well done gents congads..

cheers
    Steven

Awesome story and photos!!
    Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

That was a great read you posted ! The accompanying pictures were an added bonus ! Congratulations to your team !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 02-24-2023 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !