Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a spring bear hunt

Planning a spring bear hunt

I'm planning a spring bear hunt for me and my son( he's 6 so I want to try and make it fairly easy)

If I go on the sunshine coast (2-5) I'll be able to sneak away for 2 or 3 nights a week, my car is over there too so that helps.

Would the bears be active and up by April 1st? Or would there be a better time to wait until, early May?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Planning a spring bear hunt

Not sure about the Sunshine Coast, but around here in the Kootenays spring bear is much more productive in May when the dandelions are out and the grass is nice and green. Dealing with a bear by yourself and you son could be a big job.
    Get out there and good luck!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Guys kill bears in April.
    It can be hard to predict year to year when the grass will start to come out - e.g., last year the green up was later than the year prior.
    I’ve had great success killing bears region 2, 3, & 8 in mid-late May and early June, targeting grassy roads and side hills.

That written, my last year’s bear was on a rough road, way up a mountain, with no grass in sight - he must’ve been looking for love
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

hmmm doing the same planning..last week of April can be productive however MOTHERS DAY has been the best day up here..have my wifes MOM 90th birthday once home 10th may..off for bear
    mornings for black bear not so good...noon on...last hour better yet..best is last 15 minutes of legal shooting for BIG bruins...after lunch is best for any bear..cut blocks roads any openings are good places..
    good luck
    Steven

It all depends on the year on average here in the Fraser Valley there is a ton of activity by mid April. We have cut tags first week of April.

Once there are enough pockets of grass on south facing slopes to make some good salads, bears from all over the place consolidate on that very pocket. By the time dandelions start showing in those first pockets, other pockets are getting nice and green and the bears start to spread out more.

Whether it happens first week of April or 3rd week of April that initial green-up is my favorite time here in the Fraser Valley. We can see 3 - 4 bears in a day.

Not sure about the sunshine coast. I would think it's similar.

All that said. There is never really a bad time to hunt from initial green-up to the last day of the season. You get more hunting out of the longer days, though I avoid the heat waves. I mean, I'll still hunt during heat waves but it's not as pleasant

It's always nice to get out early here on the coast, get the jump on other campers, outdoors users, etc and hunters that swear bears don't come out in the rain or until May long, get one on the ground while there are no flies or skeeters and not have to worry about cooling meat or rushing home the same day.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 02-22-2023 at 06:19 PM.

Green up in cottonwood flats and dandelions. What attracts bees in the spring attracts bears.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Coastal bears should be up and moving through April. Good luck!

you should be able to find bears no problem in April on the SC. Often April is like late May in the interior over there. If there is fresh shoots coming up, and no snow, bears will be on them.

I have shot them on april 1st and they tasted like ass...let them eat some greens better eating bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobot Doog View Post
    you should be able to find bears no problem in April on the SC. Often April is like late May in the interior over there. If there is fresh shoots coming up, and no snow, bears will be on them.
    Good south coast advice. I see more bears in April here than any other month, on average anyway.

I think it will be an early year. Already seeing local outdoor users posting up pics of bears out and about. Will see what the weather does over the next month, but I'd wager mid April will be prime time.