Thread: First Time Snow Hunting Tips?

First Time Snow Hunting Tips?

I'm in the Lower Mainland, and i'm going to be trying to hunt snows for my first time this season. I will be hunting from a layout blind, using a small spread of ~60 decoys (shells and socks). I have a snow call.

Any general tips to help a noobie out?

Also, is mixing light and dark decoys feasible? If so, i could increase my spread to ~100 decoys.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Time Snow Hunting Tips?

Nothing? Dang, guess i'll go the experimental route.

When I started I got suckered into hunting for snows. For some reason the year I started hunting waterfowl snows were very naive and they were unbelievably abundant at Brunswick Pt. I started accumulating snowie socks and I think eventually I ended up with 70 or so. However, Brunswick stopped being productive and the snowies started wising up and I rarely saw them come down there. Flying over, yes, but it got to be quite a pain bringing out bags of socks and then seeing nothing!

I last had some good success when I was invited onto a farm a couple years back. If you have a field scouted out - good on you. I found snowies will come down with motion - use a flag - and with big blobs of them but given my experience I can't claim any expertise.

Young ones will come down to anything including people walking around. I got my share shooting greys just as I was packing up or setting up. They came down to humans walking around in the open. It was crazy.

And I love eating them though!

Where are you going?
    Last edited by silveragent; 02-18-2023 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    When I started I got suckered into hunting for snows. For some reason the year I started hunting waterfowl snows were very naive and they were unbelievably abundant at Brunswick Pt. I started accumulating snowie socks and I think eventually I ended up with 70 or so. However, Brunswick stopped being productive and the snowies started wising up and I rarely saw them come down there. Flying over, yes, but it got to be quite a pain bringing out bags of socks and then seeing nothing!

I last had some good success when I was invited onto a farm a couple years back. If you have a field scouted out - good on you. I found snowies will come down with motion - use a flag - and with big blobs of them but given my experience I can't claim any expertise.

Young ones will come down to anything including people walking around. I got my share shooting greys just as I was packing up or setting up. They came down to humans walking around in the open. It was crazy.

And I love eating them though!

Where are you going?
    Thanks for the tips!

I was lucky enough to be able to get access to a couple chunks of land to hunt on, and one of them had massive snow flocks overhead when i was targeting ducks and geese in them. I'm hoping they return the same way they left (i'll be scouting, of course).

Good luck to you. Getting access is like most of the battle now it seems.