Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Triggers

Triggers

What are you guys doing for triggers? Once you do some shooting with a good trigger, you’ll never go back to a shitty one. I have a few around and I just ordered a triggertech special with curved shoe. In theory I plan on setting it around 1-1.5 pounds for some load development and probably turn it up to around two for hunting, but we’ll see how that goes when reality sets in.

I also have a jewel benchrest in my box of gun parts that i think ranges from 4-6 ounces or somewhere around there. Really nice trigger but it doesn’t have a safety. I also ordered a set of springs to make it a bit heavier and likely put it on my wife’s range toy.

Maybe we can get a poll going? Flat or curved. Has to be xx ounces and breaks like glass. 2 stage. “I don’t care if it feels like I’m dragging broken glass through a pile of sand as long as it goes bang”. Doesn’t matter as long as it’s consistent. “I don’t know what a good trigger feels like”

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Triggers

My Remington 40XB has a 2 oz adjusted to 4 for consistency.
    The Anschutz rifles were recently converted to 180 gram triggers.
    One Cooper has a standard factory trigger and the other as a 6 oz. JARD trigger.
    It tends to be what you get use to and warn everyone who might have the privilege of using one of my rifles.
    Hunting rifles are another issue and run between 2.5 and 3 pounds.
    Even then some with seven pound triggers consider mine to be hair triggers.

Most of my rifles have pretty good triggers that I adjust to their minimum or have added a lighter spring to; Tikka & Sako for example have good triggers. Others have pretty lame triggers like my BLR take-down or older rifles like the model 70 that when I set it where I like it is unsafe and will trip if you slam the butt of the rifle down...

I have found that a good, light trigger that has very little to no creep makes for more consistent groups. The kinds of triggers that when you are settled, and your breathing is right, and the moment the thought goes through your mind that you are ready to fire the rifle just goes off without actually thinking "it's time to squeeze the trigger". It's especially good if I practice with something like my 10/22 and its stock trigger - heavy, draggy, doesn't break cleanly that the light triggers feel really good.

I have yet to buy an aftermarket trigger... but have considered that many times, or having a trigger worked on like in the case of the BLR.

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

Get a Triggertech and never look back

i am just a hunter not a shooter so i prefer a heavier trigger i can still feel when wearing light gloves...i am sure if i was doing a lot of target shooting i would have a different opinion

No aftermarket here, I just take all mine to Dave and have him work his magic, sometimes lighter but usually just smoother and more precise
    mot sure much can be done for the BLR other than stoneing surfaces
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    No aftermarket here, I just take all mine to Dave and have him work his magic, sometimes lighter but usually just smoother and more precise
    mot sure much can be done for the BLR other than stoneing surfaces
    Some years of BLR have a adjustment set screw on the trigger. Be careful or it will shoot like the Rifle Man tv show. I found it to be temperature, so I put it in freezer then set it.

I try to get all my guns to have the same triggers lb. Almost got the scope kiss of shame after shooting a 98k. I set it down to cool and picked up my 300wsm, my natural reaction was to take the trigger travel out like the 98k but of corse it does have that. As soon as I got home I found a appropriate poundage spring and welded on a adjustment set screw.

PS This can not be done to all two stage triggers! Some bolts have to have it, with out it the rifle will fire as soon as the safety is moved back to fire position.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Some years of BLR have a adjustment set screw on the trigger. Be careful or it will shoot like the Rifle Man tv show. I found it to be temperature, so I put it in freezer then set it.
    first time I have seen this statement, will have to check mine
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Thumbs up Re: Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    Get a Triggertech and never look back
    Yep.

I was one of the lucky ones to collect their initial offerings for Excalibur Crossbows.
    I have several.
    I prefer the 1.75 lb single stage over all else.
    Most of my rifles are set to the same break strength.

Extremely crisp & reliable.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Yep.

I was one of the lucky ones to collect their initial offerings for Excalibur Crossbows.
    I have several.
    I prefer the 1.75 lb single stage over all else.
    Most of my rifles are set to the same break strength.

Extremely crisp & reliable.

Cheers,
    Nog
    I got a Remington that had their garbage adjustable trigger, the one with the recall on it. 4lbs was the lightest pull adjustment you could get on it. Replaced it with a primary triggertech. Unbelievable difference. No creep, clean break, and usable adjustment weights. Made a world of difference with accuracy. I’ve used timney and jewels, Triggertech is by far the best, for a hunting rifle anyway. From what I understand, majority of target shooters are using Triggertech these days too.