Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peep trouble

peep trouble

Hey guys i need your help;
    when i draw my bow back my peep is not lining up with my eye properly.some times the string holding the peep,one of the three lines up with my eye so when i look thru the peep i have to lean my head more to get a line of sight but by doing that my shot is off.when i dont lean my shot is perfect.What is the problem cause it is really pissing me off.
    If a mans gonna make it,then he's got to be tough-Mr johnny cash

2. Site Sponsor

Re: peep trouble

Well honestly this is the reason I reccomend and use peeps that use peep rubber to align them. You do lose a little speed with the rubber but your peep is ALWAYS aligned. I've seen way too many guys at full draw trying to straigthen their peep with their nose to trust "rubberless" peeps....they are EXTREMELY high maintenance in most cases and when you bring in the temperature fluctuations of hunting situations which can cause the string to twist, they are no where near fool proof enough for me. As always this is just my opinion.

As to how to try and deal with your peep if you are stuck on rubberless, you can try and check to make sure you have the same number of string strands in each slot of your peep. Also make sure your string loop is locked down on your serving and perfectly in line with your peep so it will bring it square every time.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

Your problem is most likely string stretch. What needs to happen is that the string has to be twisted a turn or maybe two to compensate for the stretching-in process that has happened. If you have a bow press this is not a problem. Otherwise it is proshop time.

Are you using a peep with the string split into three to hold it? If so I would check out a peep that only has two strands holding it, they are a lot easier to see through. Has anybody had problems with the rubber peeps breaking in cold temperature or rotting and snapping, I've heard rumors that they are very problematic.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

The rubber peeps can snap at times but in my experience it has always just been a bit at the end. You just stick it back on and away you go, worse case it will not leave you stranded with no peep rubber as it will still work just fine with a shorter chunk of rubber. I have had no issues with them in the cold and i have hunted in some pretty cold weather with them. The biggest reason i use the rubber is when that big buck is coming into range and i draw my bow back in any temperature, raining or snowing.....i KNOW my peep will be lined up......EVERY time! Again, its just my own personal bias but I have just seen way too many guys straigthening peeps with their nose at full draw, or having to let down repeatedly throughout the day to straighten a peep to trust them on my hunting set-up.

Chris
    Emerson

Another thing to consider is almost everybody I know uses a peep rubber and packs a spare in there hunting pack. Takes less than a minute to put on. It was one of the first things Chris taught me pack a spare !!
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

I used to use the rubber attched peep and when i was looking at the pse catologue i noticed that they had one.to be honest i didnt think they made them anymore.I think that is the way i am going to go.What about the vision thru them.Can you see thru them just as well.And i think i do need a new string.How far out will my sights be when i put a new string on?

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Get a No-Peep my good man!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

like what thunder kisser button?

Theres lots of different varieties that still use peep rubber...."pick a peep" is a good choice as the peep hole size can be adjusted.

when you change your string and put in your new peep all you should have to do is adjust the whole box until your 20 yard pin is dead on and the rest will be fine(assuming they were fine before the change)

If your looking for decent prices on some good strings and cables let me know and i will direct you to some custom string makers who will save you a ton of money over say a "winners choice" string and cable set.

Chris
    Emerson