Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope Advice

Re: Spotting Scope Advice

I have decided against the Vortex and am leaning to the Athlon Ares. I have read great things about the Kowa line. Here is a link to a good review on spotters:

https://backwoodspursuit.com/best-sp...e-for-hunting/

Brain is telling me Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65, heart is telling me Kowa 554 15-45x55 because of optic quality and extreme light weight (28ozs). Challenge is finding them to look through - kind of reluctant to spend $1000 - $2000 without having tried them. Reviews are very good for both, but being an eye glass wearer I want to confirm eye relief. Anyone have any experience with either of these two,and anyone on the south Island have either a guy might look through?

What scope did you end up with? I am seriously considering the Kowa tsn 773. Patiently waiting for a sale...
    R.I.P BiG Boar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
    What scope did you end up with? I am seriously considering the Kowa tsn 773. Patiently waiting for a sale...
    Apparently the kowa 773 and 774 are now discontinued

After looking at a lot of scopes I ended up going with the Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65 in the angled version. I don't think there is a better option for the price - $995 taxes/delivery all in. Does it match the Swaro ATS 25-50 x 65, no but it is pretty good glass for the money. Took it on an elk/moose trip this fall and was very happy with it - unfortunately it allowed me to identify the bull elk at last light on the last day as a 5 x 5. I was able to determine a short 7th point on an Island elk at 800 yards in the evening when out wildlife viewing. If I was younger and still had mountain sheep hunts on the menu I would have gone for the alpha glass but this is very much adequate for my hunting and range work.

Quote Originally Posted by Citori54 View Post
    After looking at a lot of scopes I ended up going with the Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65 in the angled version. I don't think there is a better option for the price - $995 taxes/delivery all in. Does it match the Swaro ATS 25-50 x 65, no but it is pretty good glass for the money. Took it on an elk/moose trip this fall and was very happy with it - unfortunately it allowed me to identify the bull elk at last light on the last day as a 5 x 5. I was able to determine a short 7th point on an Island elk at 800 yards in the evening when out wildlife viewing. If I was younger and still had mountain sheep hunts on the menu I would have gone for the alpha glass but this is very much adequate for my hunting and range work.
    Well, it sounds like a solid choice that worked out for you. Awesome, I appreciate the response. Thank you.
    R.I.P BiG Boar

I have run a 773 for one year now. I have been extremely happy with it, as well as anyone who has looked through it. I was set on an ATS, but could not track one down. For the weight, and increase in objective it is great for what it is. A climb in price will likely give you some optical improvement, but I am super pleased with my decision. The new 663 would be a great choice, and the smaller 55 if you were not hunting sheep.
    Last edited by DStewart; 11-10-2023 at 10:15 AM.

I've decided I need a spotting scope so time to fire this thread back up.

I travel a bunch to the states so I can buy something when I'm down there.

Anybody have experience with these?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-...06085HD-314001

I bought the self same spotter from the same outlet. The only place in Canada was Wolverine and they had no stock for months. 2 other US outlets wouldn't sell to a Canadian!! I tried to pay at OP online but they are only set up for zip code addresses. I was about to give up when a rep called me back and took all my details right there and then. Got the scope to my Sumas PO box in 3 days.

Great service and better scope. If you can swing it in person all the better, and you're 1st $800 is duty free if your down long enough!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Any spotting scope is only as good as the tripod
    Dont cheap out on a tripod , you can thank me later .
    Last edited by 358mag; 01-30-2024 at 09:47 PM.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......