Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisker biscuit OR drop away?

Whisker biscuit OR drop away?

What one do you use and prefer from the two?

not a bow expert I have a QAD hunter on the bow I learnt to shoot on, but I’m working on a new bow build I got a PSE embark off a fellow on here.

I’m not sure what style of rest to use, my max hunting range is 60y under the right conditions. I like the simplicity of whisker biscuit, seems like one less thing to worry about then drop away rests when about to make a stalk/shot. No arrow clanging around when you have one knocked stalking in. I got busted by this when getting up on some mule deer bucks in September.

any big cons to the WB ?

mostly September hunting warmer weather for elk/moose.

thanks for your input

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whisker biscuit OR drop away?

With a drop away you get a lot less parasitic drag on the arrow as it leaves, and less noise from the fibers on the shaft.

I much prefer a drop away for a cleaner release and found my accuracy went way up when I switched to a drop away, this was fairly important when shooting chickens with judo’s at extended ranges and bragging rights when shooting stumps/beercans etc in camp.

Thanks, I’ve never actually shot through a WB ,

i like the whisker biscuit easy to stalk with arrow nocked,never tried a drop to compare

My drop away can be "armed" so it completely captures the arrow during stalking etc. It can still move around inside the lift fingers, but they are rubber so still pretty quiet. I'm not crazy about the arming cord f the drop away attached to the bow string, something else to snag on brush, but I still prefer the drop away over the WB for reasons Kodiak stated as well as the potential for vane wear/damage.

I’ve never used anything other than a whisker biscuit. My accuracy hasn’t seemed hampered by it, but who knows, maybe I’d be even better with a drop away
    I’m a couple years back into archery after a 10 year hiatus and considering a drop away for the upcoming season. I don’t find the whisker biscuit friendly for micro-adjusting to broadhead tune - that’s the only reason I’m considering the drop away.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

In my experience, when I use the compound, my initial compound had a WB. I liked it, quiet stable, took lots of animals. But, I do know it compromises speed and if it's worn a bit, it may compromise a bit of accuracy. I upgraded my compound and went to a drop away rest. Well, for East Kootenay hunting, that didn't work very well. By about day 3, we had two drop away rests (on two bows) broken. In one instance, it compromised a great opportunity on a good bull. I went back to the WB, and so did the other guy. Fortunately we had a couple spares in camp. But the uncertainty, during the hunt, was the decision maker. If you can't depend on it, try something you can depend on.

Hey, with a 10 yard, 20 or 30 yard shot, the speed difference between a drop away and whisker bisquit, makes no difference. IMO

Thanks for all your input fellas. Hope you all have a great weekend

I started off with a whisker biscuit and it worked well for me. Once I upgraded my bow I switched to a https://www.hamskeaarchery.com/produ...ro-arrow-rest/ and haven't looked back, after 5 years using it not an issues. Had to replace the launcher as it eventually wears down. Easy to set up and reliable with full containment.

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

Drop away rests for me.
    I've always used QAD HDX now switching to their Ultra rest MXT rest. The QAD MXT drop away rests is micro adjustable, the weren't very popular according the the QAD fellow I talked to by email, probably because of price point. QAD has discontinued them but still have some in stock. I just bought one from Canada Archery online.