Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wapiti Hunters

Re: Wapiti Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    I’ve been among bugling bulls in late October in region 7B, including on the 31st. The weather was a bit milder than a week before when it was -15, and the 12” of snow from earlier was melted off the south slopes.

I called a bigger bull a good part of the way in up there last fall too, on Oct 7th with weather in the 20’s during the day and rarely frosty in the mornings. Was a heck of a lot of fun for an hour and a half, until he ambled back to where he came from, bugling all the way.

But back to timing, I tend to think they might have a later rut up there, and here’s why. Since the spring comes later, so does ideal calving season. And since gestation periods will be unchanged, a later rut than the southern regions just makes sense. No proof, no elk meat in my freezer to even try to back that theory up. Just my conclusion from a bunch of time pondering my observations up there.
    Good to know, you're theory makes sense... FYI OP I once while scouting for elk in the interior, got a location bugle back on Aug 1st one year..does that seem strange to anyone?

^^^^ makes sense to me, I did have some bulls come crashing in but held up out of sight and winded me around oct 15 here. No bugled though just a weird grunt bark. I also had cam pictures of a 5 pt with 2 spikes and 7 cows on oct 26 first snow fall bugling his head off running back and forth with his cows for 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    2nd phase of the rut
    I hear great things about the second rut, when the big boys come to play. Never able to pin point it yet. I’m assuming it’s around first week of October that’s why I figured I’d try that week after crowds die off.

my old zone 7a ends oct 9, maybe that’s when second rut starts?

could you comment further on your experiences with this second rut?

thanks

My first year up in the Peace I was in an area that held elk. Didn't know anything about calling then so we just set up and were making a few calls every 10-15 minutes on a hootchie mama. At one point a bull came in and absolutely screamed at us (round up), it came within 100 yards but we didn't see it. All we did was just sit there and call on the hootchie mama and those bugles just kept getting further and further away, that was on October 24th.

It sounds like you’re headed in the right direction with the elk, it can take years to figure them out or dial in an area and its seasonality, but unfortunately for you like to piss in the drinking water. Try the school of hard knocks…..

01-16-2023, 10:06 PM
    Thread: HBC Covid thread 2022 by RackStar
    Re: HBC Covid thread 2022
    conservative governments neglect education... they want to keep their followers dumb. You can't expect much else here, hence the copy and pasting all day everyday. No action. Talks cheap.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 02-09-2023 at 08:52 AM.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Thanks husky , il still offer you a cold beer and a handshake out in the woods. Even though you despise my trolling.

been going hard on elk for the last 4 years. Every hunt I’ve managed to call in monster bulls , but unfortunately 6pt rule and the thick jungle I use to hunt in , had led me to pass on many bulls despite having massive wale tails poking up under the brush. Did manage to get a shot off once but my bullet was deflected by a branch , also have had other hunters in the peace hear me battling with a bull after I’ve confirmed 6 , waiting for a good shot to have them come in with cow calls and spook away. Many close calls, many 5 points called in , and many many hours of fun. I’m hoping I can connect this year.

thanks for your helpful advice pal , have a great day and best of luck to you this season. Most bulls I see up here harvested especially in saddle hills are dinks but you’ve managed to get some good ones. Hats off to you.

clue
    for a long time the 10 day rut gos in several zones of 7B was Sept 1- 10
    After campaigning mostly by G/O's the dates were changed to Sept 5-15
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I don’t hunt the peace.
    But loggers I talk to in the EK always talk about how vocal elk are on their own in late August, then suddenly stop come beginning of September.
    Some butchers there will tell you they get a decent run in bulls, younger ones generally, in bow.

You are talking the peace, so I would snoop around there with both those groups.
    Agree, the second rut is what I usually hunt.

Some of the hottest elk hunting we ever had in the Peace was the first week of September, we would hear them bugling while August moose hunting. I've been going the third week and have been having trouble locating vocal bulls, so planning on going the first week this upcoming season to see how it goes. Suppose it's a problem of lower populations [due to wolf predation and habitat loss] or I've just lost my touch.

Awesome to know thanks. I had one going on sept 2 this year we backpacked in, but got evacuated the next day due to forest fires. I’ve had some good bugling in the first 10 day’s of September, the hot weather sucks though. Makes for some long hot day’s waiting till evening.