Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wapiti Hunters

Re: Wapiti Hunters

I have had bulls screaming at me from September 1st, until the end of October... But if I could only hunt 2 weeks it would be Sept 10th-24th.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobot Doog View Post
    I have had bulls screaming at me from September 1st, until the end of October... But if I could only hunt 2 weeks it would be Sept 10th-24th.
    I'm usually one week later but with the Luna phase this year I have booked the same dates. If I connect this year it will be 4 for 5. Already getting excited and will use late bear season to scout a couple of new areas.

Good luck everyone!

So question, and I apologize if I'm derailing this thread slightly, though it is a question regarding elk hunting: I know with respect to agriculture, elk will be drawn to fields with alfalfa or clover primarily as an optimal, calorie rich food source for the cow elk... so Sept and Oct, if these food sources are around, will they be keying in on these sources preferentially over forbs and grasses at higher elevations?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    So question, and I apologize if I'm derailing this thread slightly, though it is a question regarding elk hunting: I know with respect to agriculture, elk will be drawn to fields with alfalfa or clover primarily as an optimal, calorie rich food source for the cow elk... so Sept and Oct, if these food sources are around, will they be keying in on these sources preferentially over forbs and grasses at higher elevations?
    IMO high elevation bulls are not foraging on farmland until after the season closes. Elk are like hunters - some like it low some like it high.
    I hunt high not because there are more elk, but rather fewer hunters. But if you find cows in September , then you have found bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    IMO high elevation bulls are not foraging on farmland until after the season closes. Elk are like hunters - some like it low some like it high.
    I hunt high not because there are more elk, but rather fewer hunters. But if you find cows in September , then you have found bulls.
    Thank you for the answer... the bull I shot in 2021 was high elevation, in Sept, and the cows were up there as well... my question is, IF agriculture containing alfalfa and clover is in the general area during Sept and Oct, rather than residing in traditional higher country, from your or others' experience, will the cows be keying in during those months on the agriculture food source rather than being in the higher elevation areas? And from there of course as you mentioned, we know where the bulls will be..

In my experience, the higher elevation herds stay higher until pushed out by snow or they disperse after the rut. For example, around the Creston area in W.Kootenays most of the hay farmers complain about elk later, into November and over the winter. There are some elk around on the valley bottom all year but nothing compared to how many winter there.
    Last edited by nelsonob1; 02-20-2023 at 04:29 PM.

It’s why the zine x hunt was introduced.
    Most creatures, even sheep go low come winter with decent snow.
    Big problem was/is, the elk weren’t going back to high country come spring.
    Why?, best guess to avoid the wolf gauntlet each spring/fall.
    IMO, between zone x and wolves, is why some areas have had elk #’s implode.
    Not to mention losing winter range.

But high country feed come spring is 4x more nutritious for game then the feed a rancher has.

Cool good to know thanks guys...I think it's good we're keeping this thread going, I believe the OP is still on HBC vacation lol...