Thread: How To Refill 1lb Propane Tanks

How To Refill 1lb Propane Tanks

I go through a ton of these small tanks. I'm sure a lot of people on here already do this, but hopefully this help save some money for people who don't.

*Amazon link for the adapter: https://amzn.to/3HWlB7J

Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How To Refill 1lb Propane Tanks

Thanks Bottles, always enjoy your videos! I watched your Brook trout ice fishing vid a couple weeks ago. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Patman7 View Post
    Thanks Bottles, always enjoy your videos! I watched your Brook trout ice fishing vid a couple weeks ago. Good job!
    Much appreciated!
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Newer propane bottles have a float that shuts the fill valve at 80%. If you tip a 20 pounder upside down it will close the valve and not fill your 1 pounder. You need an "old" 20 pounder to fill 1 pounders.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
    Newer propane bottles have a float that shuts the fill valve at 80%. If you tip a 20 pounder upside down it will close the valve and not fill your 1 pounder. You need an "old" 20 pounder to fill 1 pounders.
    Have you had this happen to you? My tank is from 2021 (just double checked the stamp). I know they do 80% fills, but haven't had any issues myself, and don't know of anyone else having problems. Possible issue with the 1lb?

Works like a hot damn. Something I like to do, not really necessary but I like to weigh them full and empty so I know how much to put in them. You can throw the 1 pounders in the freezer and the 20 pounder in warm water or something similar to get a little more in there.

I never seem to get more than 1/2lb for some reason. I now use angled forceps to pull up in the vent valve. Works better and no need for freezing. The downside is the valves sometimes stick and you lose gas while seating it again.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I never seem to get more than 1/2lb for some reason. I now use angled forceps to pull up in the vent valve. Works better and no need for freezing. The downside is the valves sometimes stick and you lose gas while seating it again.
    Weird - never ever had to do that ! RJ

To get a proper flow, you need differential pressure, to get that flow, you need to freeze the bottles and have the tank at a warm temperature. It's called physics.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughnles View Post
    Works like a hot damn. Something I like to do, not really necessary but I like to weigh them full and empty so I know how much to put in them. You can throw the 1 pounders in the freezer and the 20 pounder in warm water or something similar to get a little more in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I weigh the empty bottle with a kitchen scale , let’s say it’s 14 ounces, that’s your tare weight. Add 16 ounces for the propane =30 ounces, that’s your net weight.
    Fill the one pounder with as much as it will hold and weigh it again. I find like Steelco that it’s somewhere around a half pound. So would be roughly 22 ounces. Now here’s what I do. I get an Allen wrench that will fit into the hole on the top and with the bottle upright I press on the valve and release some air. After filling a few bottles I’ve found that when you feel the bottle getting cool, stop.
    Hook up the bottle again and fill. When you can’t hear anymore sound of the bottles equalizing pressure, unhook and weigh again. 30 ounces is the goal. For myself if it’s a bit under it doesn’t matter. If you let to much pressure off it will be a bit overfilled and if I’m not going to use it right away I will take the adapter off of the 20 pounder and with the 1 pounder upside down and pointed in safe direction with no danger of spark although a spark would turn it into an awesome flame thrower,,, just guessing. Screw the adapter on slowly and blow off a bit of liquid, reweigh. Rinse and repeat until you’re happy.
    I never could see the point in freezing the bottles because by the time spent in handling them while filling and weighing they would be warmed up enough you would lose what you were trying to gain. I also never felt comfortable puliing on the safety valve and disturbing the seat and having it stick open as mentioned.
    I have emptied 2 twenty pound bottles and have yet to have a problem of any kind. I found an adapter on Amazon that has a hose with valve in it that can shut off instead of always having to tip the 20 pounder back to turn the valve off and on all the time. Works great.
    Last edited by Chewie; 02-21-2023 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Add text