Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground blind, tree stand, climbing tree stand or saddle? What’s a good thing?

Ground blind, tree stand, climbing tree stand or saddle? What’s a good thing?

I have an area in region 8 I’ve been to the last few years mostly in white tail season that I’ve basically still hunted or found a spot to set up before daylight that I’m sure if I had a bit more concealment I’d have a lot more success. It’s too far to get a stand set up in advance so what would you recommend? What’s something I can set up in a reasonable amount of time at the beginning of my hunt and hit it hard far a week but still be able to move around a bit for plans B and C or even D? The ground blind seems the easiest but maybe not the best for archery and rifle.

What are you using and why?

Thanks for your help!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ground blind, tree stand, climbing tree stand or saddle? What’s a good thing?

I’d get a climbing stand and a pop up. Both are mobile

Re: Ground blind, tree stand, climbing tree stand or saddle? What’s a good thing?

I use a pop up blind, I set it up when i first get there and try and conceal it a little better, if its frosty in the morning it almost looks like an igloo if you don't.
    I feel more like i do now than i did before i got here

I have a pop up blind and last season started to use my saddle, the saddle is awesome if you have the right trees to climb.

Love the ground blind(with heater) for rifle but you may want to consider a hang-on stand for archery….rather than a self-climber.
    Leave your stand set up but maybe remove the bottom few pegs if you are worried about losing it.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I make ground blinds and use a climber, we did use ladder stands but as I got older it became a hassle to set up and not too portable.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I have an area in region 8 I’ve been to the last few years mostly in white tail season that I’ve basically still hunted or found a spot to set up before daylight that I’m sure if I had a bit more concealment I’d have a lot more success. It’s too far to get a stand set up in advance so what would you recommend? What’s something I can set up in a reasonable amount of time at the beginning of my hunt and hit it hard far a week but still be able to move around a bit for plans B and C or even D? The ground blind seems the easiest but maybe not the best for archery and rifle.

What are you using and why?

Thanks for your help!
    Unless is really cold, I prefer treestands. I'm not a fan of climbers as IMO they are simply too noisy when trying to get into position, espeically before shooting light. I had one climber and the only time I found it outweighed a hang on stand was when I could set it up in daylight for an evening hunt and only planned on hunting that spot once. Otherwise, not even an option for me.

Need to be able to slip in and out of a tree stand without making any measureable noise. Don't wait until your hunt to set it up and get familiar with it. Play with them ahead of time. Makes set up way easier and SAFER when you know how to space your steps apart, how to place them so you can step down onto your stand not pull yourself onto it, where to place you safety line, how much slack is needed, where you should hang you bow/rifle holder etc.

Without knowing the details of the spots you want to set up in, I'd probably opt for 2 hang on treestands. One in my primary spot, the second in case I want to try another spot or give my primary spot a break for a day.

I'm also a fan of sitting in the stand all day sun up to sun down when hunting during the rut or if I only have a short time to hunt a spot. If your intention is to sit all day, consider a stand with decent seat height, larger size. My small stands are ok for a few hours but my larger stands are far more comfortable for long sits.

Pop up blinds can be nice (quick to set up, protection from elements, can use a heater). Will be far more portable and quicker to relocate then a treestand but I've never hunted a spot where I thought a blind would a better option to killing a deer than a treestand unless it's late season and I want to be warmer and know I could not stay still in a treestand for the duration I wanted to be there.

Last thoughts, be careful where you set up either a treetand or ground blind. Yes, you are trying to increase concealment. But a poorly positions treestand or ground blind will stick out like a sore thumb and actually work against you
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-05-2023 at 10:42 AM.

hmm I use ground blind pop up allows heater when wolf hunting...better on rainy days usually whitetail especially Alberta whitetail bear..I have an Ameristep
    lol Iam no good at climbing
    srupp

the fellows on the hunting beast site (lots of their vids on youtube) have mobile hunting for whities down to an artform. climbing sticks and saddle or same sticks and aluminum hangon stand. light. compact. safe. quick setup relatively speaking. can hunt a different spot every day or even a different one morning and evening. works down there and up here just as well. we just have a much lower deer density and less intense competition for does so many fewer primary scrapes to set up over. my experience anyways. fun way to hunt whities but does call for a significant investment in gear upfront. fortunately tons of options now compared to 15/20 years ago and thousands of videos on youtube now on mobile hunting describing it all in excruciating detail!

I iI sit in my hay shed it works great.
    Calving barns work well to just crack the door a ft