Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping hands dry+warm in downpour

Keeping hands dry+warm in downpour

Hey guys,

Wondering what you do to keep hands dry+warm in downpour (looking at you Blacktail hunters : p).

When it is cold and snowing I use good snowboard gloves keeps em dry and warm, but if it is not that cold I end up just taking them off when hiking gnarly as too warm = not great.

Last season I experimented a bit doc gloves under wool but they sweat like nobodies business because zero breathing, among other things.

What you guys do to keep em warm and dry in pissing rain? I'm not sure if there are goretex kind of gloves like that with small liner?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Keeping hands dry+warm in downpour

Nothing keeps them dry really. Best is wool. Wet you wring them out still warm. Pack two or three pairs to change into. Relatively cheap.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Nothing keeps them dry really. Best is wool. Wet you wring them out still warm. Pack two or three pairs to change into. Relatively cheap.

^^ This ^^

Seeming that way, when it was really coming down my wools would get so logged and floppy quick got to thinkin theres got to be a better way lol

Neoprene gloves maybe?

I'll chime in to say the same thing. Wool. Yeah it can become heavy with water, but wring it out, give it a shake and you're good to go. I go BT hunting when it's pouring rain with the realization and expectation that I will be getting soaked. When done for the day I change into dry clothing for the ride home.

I pack a camo umbrella. Even with good rain gear that extra coverage really makes a difference. Good wind brake and sunshade when glassing in open country.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Neoprene gloves maybe?
    Good idea! Hadn't thought of it going to look into them

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I pack a camo umbrella. Even with good rain gear that extra coverage really makes a difference. Good wind brake and sunshade when glassing in open country.
    Picked up one when season was closing little pack one with the same idea, but hadn't thought about using it for shade glassing in summer. The one I bought is probably a little p.o.s but we'll see when I put er to the test lol. Folds up nice though into case fits in pocket

I’ve been thinking back to my island days in which I was young and bulletproof, but I think I used to just wear monkey face gloves and wring them out periodically through the day. I wasn’t doing multi day trips back then though. There’s no way to stay comfortable when it’s raining 100mm of rain per day for several days in a row.