Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Coyotes.....

Calling Coyotes.....

Any tips from those that have had success?

Been out 5 times since around Christmas, to no avail. Set ups are good, wind/thermals in my favour, areas where I know for sure they are. But nothing yet. Going to keep at it til I get one, want to try and bring numbers down in one area in particular badly.

Been using a Rocky Mountain Raspy call (cottontail), and a primos ki-yi (which I think is broken have to call them).

Do you guys use fawn calls only when fawns are dropping and really young or do you do it in Winter too? Haven't tried baiting but if you got tips for that i'm all ears as well. Or what other calls you use.

Do you hunt them mostly in meadows/fields, or in timber/mountains too? This is all region 2/Fraser Valley coyote's fwiw.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling Coyotes.....

I've had luck in Williams Lake area with fawn in distress call in November. Should work anytime of year as long as they haven't heard it to much and busted people calling with it.

As for area I've shot them in both fields and timber edges. Never in timber. For LML I would try and target fields of you have access to them

• How long are you staying on stand?
    • How often are hunting the same spots?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    I've had luck in Williams Lake area with fawn in distress call in November. Should work anytime of year as long as they haven't heard it to much and busted people calling with it.
    Okay .

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    As for area I've shot them in both fields and timber edges. Never in timber. For LML I would try and target fields of you have access to them
    Yeah I have been mainly targeting meadows in varying size

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    • How long are you staying on stand?
    • How often are hunting the same spots?
    I'll stay at one spot for 25-30 minutes then move on into the wind to another spot, or travel to an ideal spot within the same area. All about 30 minute sits.

Weeks apart, once last month I went there one Sat then the next Sat but other than that about 2-3 week spaces in between visits.

Also with the cottontail (only call i've really tried with so far except a bit of fawn calling) i'll cry for 30 seconds, maybe 45 sec, then wait 2 mins and repeat
    Last edited by TheObserver; 02-02-2023 at 08:45 AM.

Sounds like you're not doing anything wrong. Maybe try a few long howls to start your set, then a few minutes later go with a prey distress. Finish up with some pup distress. Sit an extra 10 mins or so after your last calls, they can sneak in late sometimes
    Last edited by todbartell; 02-02-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

now is the peak of breeding action, maybe try somehing more sexy
    we have had luck howling and barking and whimpering
    we move to a new spot far enough away that the old sounds and scents have had no impact

but calling is tougher whne solo for sure
    you want to work the wind but so does the dog
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I just had two run by my living room window,may have to start keeping a gun handy,lol.