Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gear??????

Re: New Gear??????

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    As far as I know carhardt or UA never made premium gear. Maybe i missed out? My wife bought me some heavy UA pants i used late season a few times that were decent.

Im curious if anyone else noticed a decline in the quality of kuiu? I gave up on sitka when they were bought by goretex, but can’t comment on recent quality. I do think the kuiu stuff is still better than the sitka ever was.
    I was just using them as an example. Not necessarily hunting gear. Just companies that used to make good stuff at one point, now their quality is junk. Kuiu used to be manufactured by Arc’tyrex in Vancouver when they first started out, as soon as they sent their manufacturing overseas, quality went way down hill. I had stuff that was made in Canada, bought new stuff a few years later, was nowhere near the same quality. Sold it, went to Kryptek, used it for years, good stuff. Until I tried SG. Will keep running there stuff and hope it doesn’t go downhill.

I've got lots of Sitka, but I feel like I look like a tacticool d$psh$t when I wear more than one article at a time. I actually don't find it any better that the stuff I buy at marks.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I bought Sitka thunderhead gear when wholesale closed. Still happy with it. Liked the fact I could try it on. Would by again.

Year or two ago I bought the wife a set of used kuiu chugnach rain gear. It’s nice stuff. Little noisy if it’s not raining.

I personally don’t think you can go wrong investing in high end gear, anything that improves your comfort just extends your day. Money well spent.

Think Sitka is the only one in store that you can try on, but if you decide to go with someone else I’d try and find someone with gear that you could try on, so much gear I see for sale is ordered wrong size/doesn’t fit and shipping it back isn’t cheap I guess. Figure out what brand/model you want and just keep an eye on fb and kijiji for used gear. Or Sitka usually goes on sale, and kuiu has a good sale every year not sure about the others.

I'm a cheap ******* & use old leftover gear that the CF let me keep when I got out. My go to shirts are 2 nice wool jobs that have held up famously over the years. A bit scratchy until they reach body temp but boy, comfy & warm after that. My daughter has been throwing a wrench into my karma by gifting me newer fancy schmancy camo jackets & stuff.

Here's a prime example of my hunting gear fashion statement.... A wool plaid jacket that's older than the military wool shirt peeking out underneath. Spoiler is the Arcteryx hiking pants lol. Ball cap's newer too, not like some of the other 50 mission hats I've been known to sport. Backpack's fairly modern, rifle is ancient FN mauser 30-06. I finally had to retire the old leather hiking boots a few years ago & splurged for a new pair of Meindl.

When things get wintery I like these snowboard camo pants & deerskin mukluks my ex made me many moons ago.
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-31-2023 at 06:45 PM.

Mike those old leather hiking boots have seen better days for sure ! LOL ! Gotta love the duct tape comes in handy !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I wear either Sitka and Some First Lite if its a long day.. but for casual days out I just wear an old Filson Cruiser and a pair of Eddie Bauer Guide pants with some merino underlayers...

Kuiu is coming to the BC outdoors show. Will be a good chance to check some things out in person.

I'm a cheap ass, buy pretty much everything on sale. Ended up with a skre kit last year. Had to trade in the gaiters for a different size (no issues, took about 2 weeks) the hardscrabble jacket/pants are great, the Merino baselayers aren't my favourite but they fit and work well. I typically use black ovis merino baselayers I got off camofire which I've been really happy with. I've compared the skre stuff to Sitka and first lite and personally I think its better quality, but im no expert. I've only got one season on it so far but I haven't had any issues so I'm tempted to pick up a couple more pieces this year.

In the mountains I wear outdoor research gaiters, lulu lemon shorts and a t shirt from marks work warehouse… until the weather gets shitty. That’s when you want good gear.

I like Sitka in solid colours and wear a few different options.

For the cold or wet, I lean to Kryptek as I find it fits well, wears like iron and works!!

I also like OR and Eddie Bauer for trail cameras, scouting and early season; cheaper and just as good with the best warranty.

Kuiu and FL fit me weird, especially Kuiu, as it is built for guys that are leaner than me.

Buy what fits you best and what you can afford.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!